8900ax-2400 Initial Setup

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Robmacca1

8900ax-2400 Initial Setup

Post by Robmacca1 »

Good morning, I've managed to get hold of a second hand 8900ax-2400 router and it has arrived today along with the PSU from the Billion store (Very quick service by the way!)

I'm wondering if there is a quick way to test if the router is in full working condition using a laptop or something? I have Sky Fibre broadband currently if I need to connect it to that, however that is being changed to BT Fibre 2 on the 1st June.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob.
billion_fan

Re: 8900ax-2400 Initial Setup

Post by billion_fan »

Robmacca1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 am Good morning, I've managed to get hold of a second hand 8900ax-2400 router and it has arrived today along with the PSU from the Billion store (Very quick service by the way!)

I'm wondering if there is a quick way to test if the router is in full working condition using a laptop or something? I have Sky Fibre broadband currently if I need to connect it to that, however that is being changed to BT Fibre 2 on the 1st June.

Rob.
Yes you can (I would advise you to upgrade the firmware on the device from the following link) https://support.billion.uk.com/index.ph ... 400-252d48

You can also connect it to your Sky FTTC connection to run a proper test, (did you receive the UK quick start guide with the device, it should cover the setup process)

If not you can follow the steps below

1. Login to the device on http://192.168.1.254
2. Click on 'Quick Start'
3. Set the main port to 'DSL'
4. Set the 'Layer2 Interface' to 'PTM'
5. Click on 'Continue'
6. Change the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet'
7. Tick the 'Enable' box for the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' option
8. In the 'Option 61 Client ID' section enter 'abcdefgh@skydsl|1234567890abcdef' (has to be within this format, this username and password should work fine)
10. Click on 'Continue'
11. You can then configure the Wireless settings as needed
Robmacca1

Post by Robmacca1 »

billion_fan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:48 am
Robmacca1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 am Good morning, I've managed to get hold of a second hand 8900ax-2400 router and it has arrived today along with the PSU from the Billion store (Very quick service by the way!)

Rob.
Yes you can (I would advise you to upgrade the firmware on the device from the following link) https://support.billion.uk.com/index.ph ... 400-252d48

You can also connect it to your Sky FTTC connection to run a proper test, (did you receive the UK quick start guide with the device, it should cover the setup process)

5. Click on 'Continue'
8. In the 'Option 61 Client ID' section enter 'abcdefgh@skydsl|1234567890abcdef' (has to be within this format, this username and password should work fine)
10. Click on 'Continue'
Thank you very much. I only received the bare router unfortunately but I’ll follow the advice you’ve given and see how I get on this afternoon.

I was assured it was in working order but I’d just like to check it out.
Robmacca1

Post by Robmacca1 »

Rob.

5. Click on 'Continue'
10. Click on 'Continue'
Good evening BF,

I followed the steps above and I'm getting the following failure for the firmware upgrade (using the linked file) "Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal image." I tried an older update as well but getting the same message.

I'm also getting a failure to connect to the Sky Fibre using the steps above, but I'm not sure if this is linked to the Firmware not being up to date? Currently running software 2.52.d31.

I have reset the device using the 30/30/30 method to remove any previous settings, however I'm still unable to update the firmware.

Is there something I'm missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Robmacca1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 pm

Rob.

5. Click on 'Continue'
10. Click on 'Continue'
Good evening BF,

I followed the steps above and I'm getting the following failure for the firmware upgrade (using the linked file) "Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal image." I tried an older update as well but getting the same message.

I'm also getting a failure to connect to the Sky Fibre using the steps above, but I'm not sure if this is linked to the Firmware not being up to date? Currently running software 2.52.d31.

I have reset the device using the 30/30/30 method to remove any previous settings, however I'm still unable to update the firmware.

I think your firmware is locked to callflow/Trolli firmware, hence you get the error message when trying to upgrade the firmware.

First step is to get the device online, as its failed the WAN connection test can you click on 'Status >> WAN' once the DSL cable is plugged up to the router and on solid, and take a screen capture of that page for me.
Robmacca1

Post by Robmacca1 »

billion_fan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:15 am

5. Click on 'Continue'
10. Click on 'Continue'
Good evening BF,

I think your firmware is locked to callflow/Trolli firmware, hence you get the error message when trying to upgrade the firmware.

First step is to get the device online, as its failed the WAN connection test can you click on 'Status >> WAN' once the DSL cable is plugged up to the router and on solid, and take a screen capture of that page for me.
Morning. I have reconnected the router and the DSL light is solid green, here is the WAN screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Robmacca1 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:45 am

Good evening BF,

Morning. I have reconnected the router and the DSL light is solid green, here is the WAN screenshot.
Can you check if the '802.1Q VLAN ID' is set to 101, and the '802.1P Priority' is set to 0 (Configuration >> WAN > WAN Service, click on the edit button for the PTM >> IPOE interface)
Robmacca1

Post by Robmacca1 »

billion_fan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:18 am
Robmacca1 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:45 am

Can you check if the '802.1Q VLAN ID' is set to 101, and the '802.1P Priority' is set to 0 (Configuration >> WAN > WAN Service, click on the edit button for the PTM >> IPOE interface)
Checked and they weren't at the required values, updated them and the WAN seems to have connected now. I'll attach another screenshot.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

that's good I'll drop you a email now.
Robmacca1

Post by Robmacca1 »

billion_fan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:05 am that's good I'll drop you a email now.
All sorted now, thank you very much for your time and patience. I just need to wait for my BT Fibre 2 to be turned on in a few weeks.

Regards.
Rob.