Is there problems with the BiPAC 8900AX-2400

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Radiocrazy

Is there problems with the BiPAC 8900AX-2400

Post by Radiocrazy »

Supplies seem to of dried up a bit, and reading this forum it has Wi-Fi problems etc is it firmware fixable or is it hard ware related.
billion_fan

Re: Is there problems with the BiPAC 8900AX-2400

Post by billion_fan »

Radiocrazy wrote:Supplies seem to of dried up a bit, and reading this forum it has Wi-Fi problems etc is it firmware fixable or is it hard ware related.
We have a new firmware coming out hopefully this week, stock should then be available through the normal channels.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

That sound promising, one quick question are the 4 antennas each have their own physical output device (output stage) or are they just passively split.
The reason for asking is a lot of the new devices are going that way which in theory should improve range on 2.5Ghz, as I measured the output from the aged but great BiPAC 7800DXL and it is very low output around 10uw and barely reaches downstairs where the BT home hub is strong even with the internal antenna.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Radiocrazy wrote:That sound promising, one quick question are the 4 antennas each have their own physical output device (output stage) or are they just passively split.
The reason for asking is a lot of the new devices are going that way which in theory should improve range on 2.5Ghz, as I measured the output from the aged but great BiPAC 7800DXL and it is very low output around 10uw and barely reaches downstairs where the BT home hub is strong even with the internal antenna.
Reply sent via ticket
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Just in case anyone is wondering my questions have been full answered, so when the new firmware has been fully tested I'm hoping this model should have excellent wireless performance and hopefully then new stock should start to be released so it’s just a matter of being patient (myself included) so thanks to the great team at Billion. :)
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

Radiocrazy,

Yes, I for one was wondering. Seems like Billion didn't get off to a good start with this model, did they? You'd have thought they'd have properly beta-tested the first release, but it seems they didn't. Looks like a bit of a disasterous result, possibly putting off a lot of potential buyers. Not very impressive.

I'm nonetheless personally hoping that Billion will sort out the alleged problems with the antennae power and other issues concerning the firmware, as I've had it in mind to buy one of these in due course. I doubt there'll be many issued for quite a while, though.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Hi gatekeeper
Maybe one of the boffins will explain the Wi-Fi oversight if it is one, but I'm not sure how wide spread that problem was I'm only guessing it may only effected a few of the modes in a batch or maybe even just one problem unit (hard ware fault) the only issue which is more wide spread was the FLAC to work on the DLNA, that I'm sure will be addressed in the new firmware, but personally my main concern would be the Wi-Fi also the stability of the DSL modem, I did try another make which looks like a Stealth Fighter and the modem in that was terrible losing sync on my long phone line every 30mins or so, but the openreach modem never losses sync.
gatekeeper

Re: Are there problems with the BiPAC 8900AX-2400?

Post by gatekeeper »

"...... but personally my main concern would be the Wi-Fi also the stability of the DSL modem, ....". The stability of the modem? Really? Are you saying that you found that the 8900AX-2400 kept dropping the line connection? And was that on ADSL2, or on VDSL2?

In the UK Billion distributed these in small numbers. For instance, broadbandbuyer.co.uk, the retailer from which I usually buy such bits of kit, has stocked only a dozen or so, and they're currently out of stock, waiting for a further batch. Perhaps it'd be too much wishful thinking to hope that more purchasers of that first batch would report the performances, good or bad, in this forum.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

The stability of the modem? Really? Are you saying that you found that the 8900AX-2400 kept dropping the line connection?
Sorry absolutely not, that was NOT a Billion router I was mentioning that lost sync (which is fiber by the way) it was something to do with the night and stealth fighters (this is a bit like give us a clue)! I tried all sorts of adjustments like tweaking the MTU size, but it still lost sync, and even flashed the latest’s firmware, which was to correct stability on Talk Talk Fiber.
That is my top importance a little more Wi-Fi clout and stability of the modem, I have been re-thinking and was wondering if should just go for a router with a Gigabit WAN and keep using my modem, but then I'm not giving the BiPAC 8900AX-2400 a chance on both accounts, at least Billion technical are good and won’t shut the door in you’re face like some other manufactures, which is hell to just get in touch with them let alone help.
To answer the last bit of you're question I deliberately let the first batch of BiPAC 8900AX-2400 sail by which were on sale at broadbandbuyer.co.uk and also the rip-off sellers that were selling then for nearly £280 as they were in limited supplies.