Initial impressions of 8900-AX2400

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
frogfoot

Initial impressions of 8900-AX2400

Post by frogfoot »

Two days ago I installed a new AX2400 to replace my 8800AXL which was great apart from the poor WiFi performance. Here are my initial impressions of the new device.

1) Construction - very lightweight and quite flimsy, a bit disappointing for a premium device. The mounting holes (for wall mounting the device) are positioned so that you have to mount the device with the ports uppermost- with cables coming out of the top, and the LED's hidden at the bottom. My old 7800N (similar size and shape) could be mounted so the cables plugged in to the bottom and the LED's were at the top and visible. - Much neater and more practical.

2) VDSL Performance - As expected - excellent. Connected easily using the same settings as the 8800 AXL. So far fast and stable with no Uncorrectable errors.

3) WIFI Performance - first impressions are very favorable. 2.4GHz range seems significantly improved, with mobile devices now able to stream hi-bit rate video faultlessly in locations where the 8800AXL connection was very flaky.
5GHz performance is good at close range but very quickly drops off to below the speed of 2.4GHz. (as is to be expected) So is pretty useless in my environment but could be useful if the majority of your wireless devices were used in close proximity to the router.

4) Web interface feels snappier than my 8800AXL, which is strange given both have the same processor and memory.

5) Problems encounters so far...

DHCP table acting strangely, specifically devices with fixed IP address sometimes appearing in the list and sometimes not. Then all devices seem to disappear (possibly when the 24hr lease expires.) - For example, currently the DHCP table shows only one device listed, even though there are 9 smart phones or tablets in the house which are connected to Wifi even when they are asleep, one PC (i'm typing on it now), a Sonos bridge (currently playing), a printer (online), a Vodafone Suresignal and a Synology DS412+ all connected via Ethernet.

Last night my laptop (connected by Wi-Fi) popped up a message that another device on the network had been detected with the same IP address, the laptop is set to receive its IP address via DHCP - an IPCONFIG /renew seemed to fix it but it shows an underlying problem with the DHCP server.

Problems encountered logging SNMP Interface Traffic - I was surprised to find the Interface traffic stats did not log on Cacti using the same setup as the 8800AXL (they use the same chip set.) The OIDs for connection speed , SNR etc are all the same and work fine, but I haven't been able to get the Traffic interface to report any sensible data as yet.
billion_fan

Re: Initial impressions of 8900-AX2400

Post by billion_fan »

frogfoot wrote:Two days ago I installed a new AX2400 to replace my 8800AXL which was great apart from the poor WiFi performance. Here are my initial impressions of the new device.

1) Construction - very lightweight and quite flimsy, a bit disappointing for a premium device. The mounting holes (for wall mounting the device) are positioned so that you have to mount the device with the ports uppermost- with cables coming out of the top, and the LED's hidden at the bottom. My old 7800N (similar size and shape) could be mounted so the cables plugged in to the bottom and the LED's were at the top and visible. - Much neater and more practical.

2) VDSL Performance - As expected - excellent. Connected easily using the same settings as the 8800 AXL. So far fast and stable with no Uncorrectable errors.

3) WIFI Performance - first impressions are very favorable. 2.4GHz range seems significantly improved, with mobile devices now able to stream hi-bit rate video faultlessly in locations where the 8800AXL connection was very flaky.
5GHz performance is good at close range but very quickly drops off to below the speed of 2.4GHz. (as is to be expected) So is pretty useless in my environment but could be useful if the majority of your wireless devices were used in close proximity to the router.

4) Web interface feels snappier than my 8800AXL, which is strange given both have the same processor and memory.

5) Problems encounters so far...

DHCP table acting strangely, specifically devices with fixed IP address sometimes appearing in the list and sometimes not. Then all devices seem to disappear (possibly when the 24hr lease expires.) - For example, currently the DHCP table shows only one device listed, even though there are 9 smart phones or tablets in the house which are connected to Wifi even when they are asleep, one PC (i'm typing on it now), a Sonos bridge (currently playing), a printer (online), a Vodafone Suresignal and a Synology DS412+ all connected via Ethernet.

Last night my laptop (connected by Wi-Fi) popped up a message that another device on the network had been detected with the same IP address, the laptop is set to receive its IP address via DHCP - an IPCONFIG /renew seemed to fix it but it shows an underlying problem with the DHCP server.

Problems encountered logging SNMP Interface Traffic - I was surprised to find the Interface traffic stats did not log on Cacti using the same setup as the 8800AXL (they use the same chip set.) The OIDs for connection speed , SNR etc are all the same and work fine, but I haven't been able to get the Traffic interface to report any sensible data as yet.

Can you submit a ticket on the following link regarding your DHCP issues

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ets/Submit
frogfoot

Post by frogfoot »

Ticket submitted.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

frogfoot wrote:Ticket submitted.
Reply sent via ticket :D