Warranty/Tech Support

General discussions for anything not model specific
Stevenrw

Warranty/Tech Support

Post by Stevenrw »

I've been a Billion Router user for some years but recently jumped ship to Netgear.
Its not been a roaring success and apart from the router proving unreliable, it transpires that Netgear only offer 90 days "complimentary" tech support after which they expect you to pay.
Now I'm not even sure this is legal here in the UK and I know that I've had occasion to speak to Billion's tech support regarding my previous routers waaay past even the warranty period.
So, I am considering aborting further nonesense with Netgear and returning to the Billion "fold" as it were but before I do can anybody please give me chapter & verse on the tech support policy for BiPac routers here in the UK.
Is it free for the life of the product, or the warranty period or free forever?
Any assistance will aid me in my agonies over whether to junk a 3 month old router.
billion_fan

Re: Warranty/Tech Support

Post by billion_fan »

Stevenrw wrote:I've been a Billion Router user for some years but recently jumped ship to Netgear.
Its not been a roaring success and apart from the router proving unreliable, it transpires that Netgear only offer 90 days "complimentary" tech support after which they expect you to pay.
Now I'm not even sure this is legal here in the UK and I know that I've had occasion to speak to Billion's tech support regarding my previous routers waaay past even the warranty period.
So, I am considering aborting further nonesense with Netgear and returning to the Billion "fold" as it were but before I do can anybody please give me chapter & verse on the tech support policy for BiPac routers here in the UK.
Is it free for the life of the product, or the warranty period or free forever?
Any assistance will aid me in my agonies over whether to junk a 3 month old router.
So standard Billion warranty on routers is 2 years.

Billion UK support is free and we will support customers as best we can for the life of the model.

Even if a model is EOL (End Of Life) we will support where we can, however for older models where Billion HQ is no longer producing firmware we can only support to the same level that HQ supports us.
Stevenrw

Post by Stevenrw »

Hi Billion Fan, and thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.
You replied as "We" so I'm assuming you are a Billion employee as opposed to an end user, and as such I take your comments as "Official" and that was exactly what I was looking for.
I understand of course that firmware updates are only for certain period, but my (almost new) Netgear unit is exhibiting frequent dropped connections (which I've never had on all the Billion units I've had over the years) so I'm more than a little annoyed that they are effectively casting me adrift with a problemmatic unit thats only 4 months old.
Thats why I'm looking to return to a company whose products I know and who treat their customers properly.
Departing from Billion was obviously an error of judgement on my part.
Thanks again.
anajames

Post by anajames »

With the level of activity billionfan has on the forum he is official indeed.
egsw04

Post by egsw04 »

Just like to add that the solid reputation of Billion in UK was key to my initial choice of buying the 7800dxl 3 years ago. Needed support only once with a set-up issue and this sorted my issue fast. Recently added a 8800 AXL R2 and anticipate a trouble free future but confident that Billion will sort things if I encounter any problems.

Previously had Netgear and Belkin but these were really awful products with very limited lifespan and equally limited customer support.
LaurenceBurke

Post by LaurenceBurke »

Tominywa wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 am I think it's good If it can really happen. I think it is a very good idea.
Yes, buddy, I agree with you. It is a good idea.
FelixCarter

Post by FelixCarter »

Its really great idea buddy. :)