Billion 3011W USB WiFi Adapter

General discussions for anything not model specific
michty_me

Billion 3011W USB WiFi Adapter

Post by michty_me »

I am looking for some information regarding the Billion 3011W USB WiFi dongle.

Basically I have a wired work computer but want to turn it into a hotspot by using a Wifi USB plug such as the Billion 3011W.
My initial plan was to put software on a USB stick if possible (Such as connectify or wifi hotspot creator) and get a cheap WiFi USB dongle.

I then found a ASUS item that has the Wifi and software on it but requires an install CD which I don't want.

I found the Billion 3011w by accident on a UK website. One of the feedback reviews stated no install required but I can't find any further information.

Can I plug this into a USB port on a wired computer so that I can create a hotspot to connect my phone/tablet to without installing software to the computer?
Last edited by michty_me on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomken

Re: Billion 3011W USB WiFi Adapter

Post by Tomken »

While I don't know this forum's policies (haven't read the rules ;)) but assistance in circumventing such as helping with what could be classed as anything illegal would not normally be given - which is probably why billion_fan hasn't responded to your thread.

Why don't you ask your coy's IT guys - you may find a sympathetic one ?
michty_me

Post by michty_me »

Ok let me rephrase it all then. Don't see it being illegal though.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

michty_me wrote:Ok let me rephrase it all then. Don't see it being illegal though.

lol
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

michty_me wrote:I am looking for some information regarding the Billion 3011W USB WiFi dongle.

Basically I have a wired work computer but want to turn it into a hotspot by using a Wifi USB plug such as the Billion 3011W.
My initial plan was to put software on a USB stick if possible (Such as connectify or wifi hotspot creator) and get a cheap WiFi USB dongle.

I then found a ASUS item that has the Wifi and software on it but requires an install CD which I don't want.

I found the Billion 3011w by accident on a UK website. One of the feedback reviews stated no install required but I can't find any further information.

Can I plug this into a USB port on a wired computer so that I can create a hotspot to connect my phone/tablet to without installing software to the computer?

From looking on the internet, you will need to install software on your computer to get this to work, you can try and install the software on USB stick, but I am not sure if this will work.

Maybe this link might help you
http://windows.appstorm.net/how-to/turn ... -hot-spot/ ( Please note this is a third party link and is not associated in anyway with Billion UK)
michty_me

Post by michty_me »

Hi Billion_fan,

Thank you for the reply.
I stumbled across the user manual earlier just after you replied. It does state install of software is required.

I will look into that software you have mentioned below. Thanks again for the help.

Edit: I think I have a copy of that software and still need to test. :D