Bipac 7800N struck by Lightning

General discussions for anything not model specific
Trek105

Bipac 7800N struck by Lightning

Post by Trek105 »

I have a Bipac 7800N which I think was struck by Lightning.
The Power Led comes on.
The Wireless LED is steady.
The DSL LED is flashing .
The Internet light is off.
I can see the the router in Network map but the internet has a red cross.
I have windows 7.
Is there any way of confirming the 7800 is now dead?
If it is, can it be repaired or should I just reolace it?

I am using the router which came from my internet provider.
billion_fan

Re: Bipac 7800N struck by Lightning

Post by billion_fan »

Trek105 wrote:I have a Bipac 7800N which I think was struck by Lightning.
The Power Led comes on.
The Wireless LED is steady.
The DSL LED is flashing .
The Internet light is off.
I can see the the router in Network map but the internet has a red cross.
I have windows 7.
Is there any way of confirming the 7800 is now dead?
If it is, can it be repaired or should I just reolace it?

I am using the router which came from my internet provider.
If the router has been struck by lightning (meaning the ADSL light continues to flash when a ADSL cable is plugged to the unit) one of the options is to use the device as a wireless hub/switch.

To do so, disable the DHCP server on the 7800N. Then if needed change the IP address of the 7800N so it does not conflict with your current working modem router, then finally plug a ethernet cable from your modem/router to any of the LAN ports (1-4) on the 7800N,

In this setup your 7800N should work as a wireless hub/swicth, meaning all IP addresses/routing etc will be done by your working modem/router.

Another option as the ADSL function is blown, if you can set your current modem/router to bridge mode (modem only mode), you can plug up a ethernet connection from your current modem/router to the EWAN port and then set the 7800N to EWAN, PPPOE and enter your ISP username and password in the 7800N, with this setup your 7800N should get your WAN IP from the modem (this setup is turning your working modem/router into a modem only and 7800N as router)

I hope this helps :D
Trek105

Post by Trek105 »

OK billion_fan, thats good advice which I will follow but is what I reported proof that the router is un-repairable?
Also how do I stop this happening again if I purchase a new router? This the second time lightning has destroyed things attached to my copper phone line, fortunately this time my answer phone was not destroyed.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Have you tried factory resetting the router via the rear pin hole to see if that revives it ?

The only safe way to prevent either a router or phone being struck by lightning would be to unplug them when you hear the first thunder.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Trek105 wrote:OK billion_fan, thats good advice which I will follow but is what I reported proof that the router is un-repairable?
Also how do I stop this happening again if I purchase a new router? This the second time lightning has destroyed things attached to my copper phone line, fortunately this time my answer phone was not destroyed.
Have a look at this device

http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F9M820-2M/

I have never used one, so further investgiation into this product might be needed before purchase :D
Trek105

Post by Trek105 »

OK all thanks for the advice, I have a response from Billion which indicates the unit is probably not worth repairing so I intend buying a BiPAC 7800DXL and will investigate the surge devices.
The lightening, which struck while I was on holiday, seems to have traveled through the network cable, through my remote ethernet switch (which was switched off and not damaged) and onto my Sony Blueray television player (which was unpluged from the mains) where it seems to have knocked out the Ethernet port only.
Regards