Which Router do I need?

General discussions for anything not model specific
PDilly

Which Router do I need?

Post by PDilly »

Circumstances having changed, a change of tack is needed.
I have a 7800N and 2 3100SN's at present but I need a guest network. Certainly WiFi and possibly Ethernet as well but that will keep.
Both the 3100's are now connected to the 7800N by Ethernet cables. One of these needs to provide the guest network
So do I really need a new router with dual SSID's or just one than can divide it's LAN ports. Users on the guest network aren't likely to be close enough to a main router access any dual SSID.

I know I could use the dual SSID via WDS but I may as well make use of the LAN cable as there are a few walls in the way and the signal does fade.

I'm getting 6mb/s on ADSL2+ And the shame is there's nothing wrong with the 7800N it hasn't missed a beat in years and it's on 24/7

Any recommendations welcome

Thanks

Pete
billion_fan

Re: Which Router do I need?

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:Circumstances having changed, a change of tack is needed.
I have a 7800N and 2 3100SN's at present but I need a guest network. Certainly WiFi and possibly Ethernet as well but that will keep.
Both the 3100's are now connected to the 7800N by Ethernet cables. One of these needs to provide the guest network
So do I really need a new router with dual SSID's or just one than can divide it's LAN ports. Users on the guest network aren't likely to be close enough to a main router access any dual SSID.

I know I could use the dual SSID via WDS but I may as well make use of the LAN cable as there are a few walls in the way and the signal does fade.

I'm getting 6mb/s on ADSL2+ And the shame is there's nothing wrong with the 7800N it hasn't missed a beat in years and it's on 24/7

Any recommendations welcome

Thanks

Pete
I think you can go for one that can isolate the ports, you can isolate the port the 3100SN connects too eg 3100SN connected to LAN port 2, this LAN port will have to be isolated from the rest of the network. (so the clients connecting to the guest network will not be able to see clients or connect to clients connected to any of the other LAN ports/wifi networks)
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

Hi thanks for response. It confirms my thoughts
Do you have a recommendation for any particular model with port isolation?
a 4 LAN + EWAN port would be useful as all 5 are currently in use on the 7800N
thanks
Pete
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:Hi thanks for response. It confirms my thoughts
Do you have a recommendation for any particular model with port isolation?
a 4 LAN + EWAN port would be useful as all 5 are currently in use on the 7800N
thanks
Pete
Just a update, 7800DXL is the router you want with multiple dual SSID's and port isolation