USB Wifi Dongle Compatibility?

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
bomberman

USB Wifi Dongle Compatibility?

Post by bomberman »

Hi

Just purchased my first Billion router after many great reviews. Can someone please confirm if I'm limited to the type of usb wifi dongle I can use. I presume that I can use any manufacturers product as UPNP is supported on the 7300 :?:

Thanks in advance

B
billion_fan

Re: USB Wifi Dongle Compatibility?

Post by billion_fan »

Yes you should be able to use any wifi dongle with the 7300N as long as it is compatible with B or G or N wireless.
bomberman

Post by bomberman »

Thanks billion_fan
bomberman

Post by bomberman »

Hi billion_fan

I've not got the 7300n up and running (really easy to follow the 02 setup guide on here) however I have noticed I've lost around 0.5meg DL speed, tested it various times today and tonight and still down. Its normally around 3.7 > 4.2 however can only manage 3.2 > 3.5 over the last 10 hours. I have also update to the latest firmware as well.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated? :?:

FYI I haven't connected using wifi just yet as the dongle has yet to arrive.

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

What is your sync speed?

Found on 'Advanced >> Status >> ADSL Status'. If you can post your stats I might be able to suggest something.
bomberman

Post by bomberman »

Hi

Hope this helps?

Phiscial Port Status 916 / 4458 kbps
Up 916 kbps
Down 4458 kbps
SNR Margin (Upstream) 6.7 db
SNR Margin (Downstream) 6.0 db
Line Attenuation (Upstream) 32.6 db
Line Attenuation (Downstream) 51.0 db

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

From looking at your ADSL stats, you are synced up at 4458 kbps, which is the top speed you should be able to acheive.

If the router was syncing up at a slower speed, then this might be a issue, but as it stands the sync rate is 4458 kbps.

By looking at your SNR up/down you can ask O2 if they can lower your SNR to 3.5db, but this might cause the ADSL line to drop, but should higher your ADSL sync rate.

Also you can ask O2 if they can change your line profile to gaming (fastpath) which will improve your ping times for gaming. But O2 should be able to provide you with pro's and con's of changing over to fastpath.

Have you tested your speeds with other speed test sites? Or have you tried to download a large file from a quick server to see if you can acheive max download speeds?
bomberman

Post by bomberman »

Thanks for your valued post, I will speak to O2 however using the same site to test my speed the result varied roughly by 0.5meg just by changing the router. I will also try a couple other sites to test the speed available.

Thanks again