Wireless access point with 7300 router

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
jamthesun

Wireless access point with 7300 router

Post by jamthesun »

I am thinking of buying the 7300 router (in fact it's in the shopping cart on Anazon). I have a question about extending the wireless reach. My kids have an xbox in a cabin in the garden which is out of reach of my current wireless router. I don't think the 7300 will provide reach either but thought that one of the wireless access points which plug into an electric socket may help. I could plug it in to the mains in the cabin or in a room closer to the cabin than the room with the router.

What I want to know is whether these access points can act just as an access point. I don't want to use them as powerline adapters. Ideally I would have one router and one access point.

Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: Wireless access point with 7300 router

Post by billion_fan »

Hi jamthesun

The product you are looking for is Bipac 2073N, this is the homeplug AP.

If you buy this unit, the only way to connect the 2073N to your router is using a wired connection. So 7300 wired to 2073N, 2073N will be your wireless access point.

But if you can't run the cable (RJ-45) to the 2073N, then the only option will be Bipac P106N, which comes with a wired and wireless homeplug. The wired connects to your router and the wireless device connects in a location where you can not receive a wireless signal (must be on the same electrical ring to work as homeplugs)
jamthesun

Post by jamthesun »

Hi Billion-Fan.

Unfortunately this will not work. The house and cabin are on separate rings. I've tried powerline adapters without success.

I was thinking of the BiPac 3100SN.

Any thoughts?

The alternative would be another router used as a bridge. Possibly the 7700N. Would this work?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ok, but you can still use the 2073N as AP, but you need a long ethernet cable running from your router to the 2073N.

Yes the 3100SN should work, as it is a AP, but you will also need a long ethernet cable running from your router to the 3100SN.

You might be able to try using WDS, but if the signal is weak, the connection speeds will be slow, the best option is to use ethernet cable for your setup.

Are you using 7700N as your main router?

Thanks
jamthesun

Post by jamthesun »

I thought with WDS you didn't need a wired connection. Isn't that the point of it?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jamthesun wrote:I thought with WDS you didn't need a wired connection. Isn't that the point of it?

Yes if you decide to use WDS, then there is no need to use a ethernet cable. But if the signal is weak, the connection speeds will be slow.

So you need make sure the 3100SN/2073N has a good signal from your router.