Use a firewall BiPAC7402GX

Discussion for BiPAC 7402 series: 7402, 7402G, 7402X, 7402GX, 7402NX..etc
Enigma

Use a firewall BiPAC7402GX

Post by Enigma »

Hi I brought your product a few years back to go in our museum exhibition and now its decommissioned.

Is it possible to use it as a firewall off the back of a home sky router?

This would give it a few more years service.

Its the BiPAC 7402GX model, being the best one at the time.
billion_fan

Re: Use a firewall BiPAC7402GX

Post by billion_fan »

You can use the device as broadband router or a wireless hub/switch, connected via Ethernet cable to your Sky router. (you can't use it as modem/router with Sky)

Setup 1 (Broadband router setup, please note clients connected to the device in this mode will run behind double NAT)

1. Make sure you have firmware 6.24c loaded (http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... c-firmware)
2. Click on 'WAN' on the left hand side
3. Change the 'Profile Port' to 'EWAN'
4. Change the 'WAN Type' to 'Obtain a IP Address Automatically'
5. Click on 'Apply'
6. If your Sky router is within the same subnet eg 192.168.1.x = Sky router, 192.168.1.x = Billion you need to change the LAN IP address of the Billion router to 192.168.2.x (screen shot example attached)
7. Once done plug a Ethernet cable from the Sky router to Ethernet port 1 on the 7402GX. (please note the throughput speeds will be limited to around 40mbps, as this is a software emulated EWAN port)

Setup 2 (Wireless hub/switch, all routing, DHCP requests etc will be performed by your Sky router, so no double NAT)

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Advanced >> Configuration >> DHCP Server'
3. Disable the 'DHCP Sever Mode' and click on 'Next' and the confirm you want to disable the DHCP server
4. Plug a Ethernet cable from you Sky router to any of the LAN ports on the 7402GX
5. Restart any devices connected to the 7402GX.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enigma

Re: Use a firewall BiPAC7402GX

Post by Enigma »

Thank you Billion Fan for your help and reply. Its much appreciated and this will ad another level of security.

It seems the internet today is under constant attack, even with anti virus software and anti mail ware.

Billion is a great piece of equipment. I would prefer to have a better solution in place to the sky router, however being a corporation, they have outlawed using your own router. However I read a few people are.

VPN is probably my next move.

Many thanks
Steve