Can't connect to internet

Discussion for BiPAC 7402 series: 7402, 7402G, 7402X, 7402GX, 7402NX..etc
strayfish

Can't connect to internet

Post by strayfish »

Probably a simple (idiot) solution but so far eluding me. All cables correctly placed, all lights on, internet light red. Local network established, accessed server and configured according to instructions, error simply says 'the connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken'. I've tried turning off Norton firewall, with no luck, so I've come back to my old router to start looking for an answer. Any ideas welcome! Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: Can't connect to internet

Post by billion_fan »

HI

From what you have described it seems your router is failing at the authentication process (internet light red).

Before I can advise further I have a question

1. Are you using a ADSL service or 3G or EWAN (cable modem)
strayfish

Post by strayfish »

Ah, yes - that's what it said. I'm using ADSL, all microfilters are in place, the old router picked up again straight away when I switched over. I must say that some of the technical language is a bit beyond me, even though I'm not exactly inept :roll: so I may be missing something crucial in the setup process. Well, obviously I am!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Hi Staryfish

Heres the steps to get you backup and running

You will need your broadband username and password from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to get pass the authentication process

1. Login to the routers interface (http://192.168.1.254) username 'admin' and password 'admin'
2. Once logged in click on 'WAN' on the left hand column
3. In the username and password section enter your broadband username and password (mentioned above)
4. Click on 'Apply'
5. Once the page has reloaded, click on 'Save Config'
6. Click on 'Apply' in the middle of the page to confirm you want to save settings to the flash memory

Once done the internet light should turn 'Green' after 5 minutes if not please let me know the following -:

1. What colour is the internet?
2. Who is your Internet Service Provider?
3. Is the ADSL light on solid green ?
strayfish

Post by strayfish »

Thank you, I'm going to try this tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully, via my Billion router this time ;)
strayfish

Post by strayfish »

Well, I've given it several attempts and still no resolution. The power light and DSL light are both solid green. The 4 port lights flash green (2) and orange (the other 2) at variable rates. Wireless seems now to come and go and has to be reconfigured each time I restart the router. However, the internet light remains resolutely red. My ISP is Plusnet, the old router gets up and running immediately when I change over. Interestingly, while Billion is showing internet red, the connectivity icon in my task bar - and also in the network and sharing panel - sometimes shows internet access even though it doesn't translate into an actual connection.
Again, your assistance will be most appreciated. At least I have a working router so I'm not chewing the curtains!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

It does seem to be a username or password issue.

Your username should be example@plusdsl.net, your password can also be obtained from Plusnet.

If you do ring your ISP, make sure you request your broadband username and password, as this seems to be the issue at the moment. When entering a new username and password, please use the 'Basic' menu and click on 'WAN' on the left hand column, once adjusted click on 'Apply'.

Also can you tell me the VPI/VCI, protocol and encap method you have set to the WAN page of the router? Just want to double check your settings.

Also when the internet light turns red, please check the status page, and under the long WAN box that goes acrros the page (still on the status page) does it state Authentication Failed?

Thanks
strayfish

Post by strayfish »

Damn! I bet it's the username that's the problem - I'd been putting in my Plusnet access one and the one you've suggested is similar to the one for configuring the email account. I'd completely forgotten about that and if that's it, I'll grow donkey ears and sit in the corner - but at least I won't be pulling my hair out! I'm at work at present so I'll have to wait to suffer the acute embarrassment that will surely follow! Many thanks.
strayfish

Post by strayfish »

:D :D :D Success! It was the darned password :evil: Obvious but not obvious enough - obviously! Internet light is flashing, and I have wifi set up too - with WPA security when I discovered the default is disabled. I can't thank you enough so I hope there's a warm glow settling over you for your trouble.
With gratitude