Setting up 7700N as a wireless bridge

Discussions for BiPAC 7700 series: 7700N
QuantumCaffeine

Setting up 7700N as a wireless bridge

Post by QuantumCaffeine »

Hi all,

I am trying to set up my 7700N as a wireless bridge (to service boxes in my sitting room that have ethernet but not wifi) but... I'm too much of a newbie to get it working. (Clearly, it can be made to work, as someone posted here a couple of years ago!) Can anyone help?

Here's what I've done so far. My main router is an ASUS RT-N12C1, which I've put in WDS Hybrid mode, set Control Channel to 6 and added the MAC address of the 7700N to the Remote AP List.

On the 7700N, I've updated it to the latest firmware and done a hard reset. Then, I've disabled the DHCP server and set 802.11n/EWC to disabled. Through Quick Setup I set the wireless SSID and channel to match the ASUS and (for testing purposes) disabled all security. (Once I get it working, I'll reinstate WEP, which I understand is as much as I can do?) Finally, in Wireless Bridge, I've set it to Wireless Bridge and set Bridge Restrict to Enabled(scan); this found my ASUS.

None of this has gotten me anywhere, however. Going by other guides for other routers, I was expecting to find somewhere to put a gateway address (i.e. the IP of the ASUS), but looking around for default gateway options just gave me a page that wanted a WAN interface. The only one that was configured was for PPPoE, which didn't seem useful. The other two options were bridging and IPoE (which at least allowed me to enter a gateway address, among other things). However, I've tried setting up both of these as best I can and it hasn't helped.

It may also be worth saying that the ASUS is on 192.168.1.1, the 7700N is on 192.168.1.254 (outside the DHCP pool of the ASUS) and the laptop that I have connected to the 7700N has a static address of 192.168.1.251.

If you've read this far, thank you. I know I'm new to this, but I hadn't expected things to be this tricky! Am I on the right track, and can anyone give me any hints on how to finish the job or troubleshoot the situation? I'll happily post any other information that could be relevant.

Regards,

Peter
billion_fan

Re: Setting up 7700N as a wireless bridge

Post by billion_fan »

QuantumCaffeine wrote:Hi all,

I am trying to set up my 7700N as a wireless bridge (to service boxes in my sitting room that have ethernet but not wifi) but... I'm too much of a newbie to get it working. (Clearly, it can be made to work, as someone posted here a couple of years ago!) Can anyone help?

Here's what I've done so far. My main router is an ASUS RT-N12C1, which I've put in WDS Hybrid mode, set Control Channel to 6 and added the MAC address of the 7700N to the Remote AP List.

On the 7700N, I've updated it to the latest firmware and done a hard reset. Then, I've disabled the DHCP server and set 802.11n/EWC to disabled. Through Quick Setup I set the wireless SSID and channel to match the ASUS and (for testing purposes) disabled all security. (Once I get it working, I'll reinstate WEP, which I understand is as much as I can do?) Finally, in Wireless Bridge, I've set it to Wireless Bridge and set Bridge Restrict to Enabled(scan); this found my ASUS.

None of this has gotten me anywhere, however. Going by other guides for other routers, I was expecting to find somewhere to put a gateway address (i.e. the IP of the ASUS), but looking around for default gateway options just gave me a page that wanted a WAN interface. The only one that was configured was for PPPoE, which didn't seem useful. The other two options were bridging and IPoE (which at least allowed me to enter a gateway address, among other things). However, I've tried setting up both of these as best I can and it hasn't helped.

It may also be worth saying that the ASUS is on 192.168.1.1, the 7700N is on 192.168.1.254 (outside the DHCP pool of the ASUS) and the laptop that I have connected to the 7700N has a static address of 192.168.1.251.

If you've read this far, thank you. I know I'm new to this, but I hadn't expected things to be this tricky! Am I on the right track, and can anyone give me any hints on how to finish the job or troubleshoot the situation? I'll happily post any other information that could be relevant.

Regards,

Peter
It sounds like you have setup the 7700N correctly, I can't really comment on the Asus product, as I don't use this brand.

It might be a WDS compatibility issue between different wireless chipsets. (which is known when using WDS)

Also make sure you have correct the MAC address listed in the asus device. The correct MAC address to use should be listed under 'Wireless >> Basic' listed as the 'BSSID'

Once done, try to ping 192.168.1.1 while connected to the 7700N, this test will prove if you have a connection to a Asus router