7700N and fibre broadband

Discussions for BiPAC 7700 series: 7700N
ian__b

7700N and fibre broadband

Post by ian__b »

I'm currently on ADSL2+ but am moving to fibre (PlusNet 80/20 with an estimated download of 57Mbps) on the 26th. The router that PN supply, Technicolor 582N, doesn't seem to get many good reviews so I am hoping to keep using my 7700N.

Obvious first question is, can anyone confirm it will work when connected to the BT supplied fibre modem.

As far as the 7700N is concerned, I know the username/password will need updating and the config changed to PPPoE - Always on, but are there any other settings that need to be changed? I had a quick play this morning and there seemed to be a lot of other options!

How about connecting to the modem. Can I use any one of the 4 LAN sockets or must I use LAN 1?

Thanks for any insights

Ian
billion_fan

Re: 7700N and fibre broadband

Post by billion_fan »

Hi Ian__b

You cannot use the 7700N as a broadband router, as the router does not have a WAN port to connect your Fibre modem too.

On the 7800N we have dedicated WAN port, on the 7402 we have software simulated WAN port (where you can change port 1 from a ethernet port to a WAN port making the router a 3 port broadband router)

The 7700N does not have this feature.
ian__b

Re: 7700N and fibre broadband

Post by ian__b »

Thanks for the reply; I live and learn :(

I'll give the Technicolor a go then and, depending on the outcome, decide what to do at that point.

Thanks Again
Ian