Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation 4.

Grandpa79

Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation 4.

Post by Grandpa79 »

I'm using a bipac 7800N and i am lost with the settings - I have an issue when gaming on the playstation 4 where I experience periods of high latency and packetloss, but only really experience them while the PS4 is connected and its rather regular when playing destiny and battlefield 4.

I have no idea what is causing this and think it maybe down to some setting in the router - It is pretty much at default settings bar giving the Ps4 a static IP using the fixed host option in the LAN configuration, I have also limited the DHCP IP range and given the PS4 a static IP outside of this range.

I have noticed that if I disable Upnp in the router applications still seem to receive ports via upnp also the playstation 4 still gets NAT TYPE 2 - I have no idea if the firewall is enabled can anyone point me to a correctly configured firewall screenshot?

I was wondering if some sort of QoS rules for the PS4 may help? Any QoS settings/suggestions are welcome.

I have no idea where to start with this issue. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT* one thing I have noticed is that I occasionally receive a message on the PS4 network test informing my that my router does not appear to support IP fragments <-- could this be an issue?
Tomken

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by Tomken »

You may find this PS Forum thread of interest http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/43071505 while billion_fan can answer any queries you have about the router.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:I'm using a bipac 7800N and i am lost with the settings - I have an issue when gaming on the playstation 4 where I experience periods of high latency and packetloss, but only really experience them while the PS4 is connected and its rather regular when playing destiny and battlefield 4.

I have no idea what is causing this and think it maybe down to some setting in the router - It is pretty much at default settings bar giving the Ps4 a static IP using the fixed host option in the LAN configuration, I have also limited the DHCP IP range and given the PS4 a static IP outside of this range.

I have noticed that if I disable Upnp in the router applications still seem to receive ports via upnp also the playstation 4 still gets NAT TYPE 2 - I have no idea if the firewall is enabled can anyone point me to a correctly configured firewall screenshot?

I was wondering if some sort of QoS rules for the PS4 may help? Any QoS settings/suggestions are welcome.

I have no idea where to start with this issue. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT* one thing I have noticed is that I occasionally receive a message on the PS4 network test informing my that my router does not appear to support IP fragments <-- could this be an issue?
Have a look here - http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/43071505

Other are reporting the same issue as you, and they are not using a Billion router

Things to try

1. Make sure you are not using double nat
2. Try to put the PS4 IP into DMZ
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

thanks for the replies.

I had stumbled across those posts in the past - but they dont seem to have any kind of resolution or fix. And had found info regarding double nat on ps4, but again no real info regarding a solution.

You posted 1. Make sure you are not using double nat , how would I go about ensuring I am not using double nat? I have noticed that with upnp disabled in the 7800n the PS4 and other applications that support upnp still get port assignments thru upnp even with it disabled which seems rather odd to me, I would have thought i would receive an error regarding upnp with it disabled, would double nat or the ip fragments cause packet loss or high latency in p2p gaming?

If i set the PS4 in the DMZ should i disable UPNP in the router? its annoying as the PS3 had the option to not use Upnp but there is no option in the ps4 network settings to disable upnp.

My ISP suggest an mtu of 1432, I have set this in the connection options of the router - I have an option of setting the mtu in the ps4 network settings, if i do so i will receive the IP fragmentation message with every network test on the PS4.

As far as I am aware only the ps4 seems to have issues on the 7800n and destiny (which is probably a bad example) destiny pvp is a dead loss. I set up a line quality monitor and whenever I entered PVP or some public areas the monitor indicated packetloss and rather high latency yet leave those areas and everything returns to normal.

I think the only thing I haven't tried is port forwarding for the PS4 but the list off ports required are huge and i seem to be limited in the number of entries for port forwarding - I did have some limited success setting up QoS rules for the PS4 but I have no idea if they were set up correctly options like dscp marking etc struggled to find info regarding what to use.

Would the intrusion detection being enabled cause issues?

I have been struggling with this issue for a while now and have a ridiculous number of questions so I apologise if this post is a wall of text. I am not even sure if my firewall is even configured correctly, routers I have used in the past have an On/OFF radio button in the router setup, the 7800n doesnt appear to.

One last question is, is there a default QoS rule applied on the router from factory/default settings?

I really am hoping it comes down to a router setting or an error i have made in the router setup.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:thanks for the replies.

I had stumbled across those posts in the past - but they dont seem to have any kind of resolution or fix. And had found info regarding double nat on ps4, but again no real info regarding a solution.

You posted 1. Make sure you are not using double nat , how would I go about ensuring I am not using double nat? I have noticed that with upnp disabled in the 7800n the PS4 and other applications that support upnp still get port assignments thru upnp even with it disabled which seems rather odd to me, I would have thought i would receive an error regarding upnp with it disabled, would double nat or the ip fragments cause packet loss or high latency in p2p gaming?

If i set the PS4 in the DMZ should i disable UPNP in the router? its annoying as the PS3 had the option to not use Upnp but there is no option in the ps4 network settings to disable upnp.

My ISP suggest an mtu of 1432, I have set this in the connection options of the router - I have an option of setting the mtu in the ps4 network settings, if i do so i will receive the IP fragmentation message with every network test on the PS4.

As far as I am aware only the ps4 seems to have issues on the 7800n and destiny (which is probably a bad example) destiny pvp is a dead loss. I set up a line quality monitor and whenever I entered PVP or some public areas the monitor indicated packetloss and rather high latency yet leave those areas and everything returns to normal.

I think the only thing I haven't tried is port forwarding for the PS4 but the list off ports required are huge and i seem to be limited in the number of entries for port forwarding - I did have some limited success setting up QoS rules for the PS4 but I have no idea if they were set up correctly options like dscp marking etc struggled to find info regarding what to use.

Would the intrusion detection being enabled cause issues?

I have been struggling with this issue for a while now and have a ridiculous number of questions so I apologise if this post is a wall of text. I am not even sure if my firewall is even configured correctly, routers I have used in the past have an On/OFF radio button in the router setup, the 7800n doesnt appear to.

One last question is, is there a default QoS rule applied on the router from factory/default settings?

I really am hoping it comes down to a router setting or an error i have made in the router setup.
Double nat - meaning connecting through two router, both running NAT eg BT Home Hub 5 >>> 7800N

Once UPNP is disabled have you saved your config, and restart the router?

If you use the DMZ function you can leave UPNP as enabled for other devices/applications eg Skype

I would set the MTU on both devices

DMZ will open all ports to the device, so there is no need for port forwarding

Intrusion detection might cause a issue, try disabling it

Firewall is on by default and there is no radio button to disable the firewall (only adding a any, any, incoming rule, will disable the firewall to a devices IP)

There is no default QOS rule applied to the router (QOS section should be blank)
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

I only use the 7800 no extra devices or anything the PS4, PC etc plug straight into the ethernet ports or connect to the wifi.

I am pretty sure I have tried the PS4 in the dmz - Is it better to assign the PS4 a static IP out of the DHCP range to use the DMZ option? what I was doing was to give the DHCP a small range then assigned static IP via the network settings of PS4 and 3DS which was outside the range of DHCP, I was using the FIXED HOST option on the router to give the PS4 a static IP which meant I could leave the PS4 network settings as automatic, when doing this I did notice that the router logs would sometimes be filled with the PS4 requesting an IP via bro or something

May 27 00:59:34 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPDISCOVER from (MAC ADDRESS) via br0 <-- this would sometimes fill the log over an hour or two with a request every few seconds, is this normal? When this appeared in the logs for the 3DS I would have issues downloading content from the store, but a static IP for the 3DS resolved this.

I also see this in the logs

user kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1047 bytes)

I have googled the above but i'm guessing its one of those things that could be caused by a myriad of things so I just ignore.

I will try the PS4 in the dmz later today. So is it best to set the DMZ click apply, then save config and restart the router - in fact is this a possible rule of thumb for any changes to the router settings? Thanks again for your reply n help.

Would you have any idea what firmware I should be running for the 7800n in the UK? I think I am currently running 1.06h.dt2

Thanks once again.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:I only use the 7800 no extra devices or anything the PS4, PC etc plug straight into the ethernet ports or connect to the wifi.

I am pretty sure I have tried the PS4 in the dmz - Is it better to assign the PS4 a static IP out of the DHCP range to use the DMZ option? what I was doing was to give the DHCP a small range then assigned static IP via the network settings of PS4 and 3DS which was outside the range of DHCP, I was using the FIXED HOST option on the router to give the PS4 a static IP which meant I could leave the PS4 network settings as automatic, when doing this I did notice that the router logs would sometimes be filled with the PS4 requesting an IP via bro or something

May 27 00:59:34 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPDISCOVER from (MAC ADDRESS) via br0 <-- this would sometimes fill the log over an hour or two with a request every few seconds, is this normal? When this appeared in the logs for the 3DS I would have issues downloading content from the store, but a static IP for the 3DS resolved this.

I also see this in the logs

user kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1047 bytes)

I have googled the above but i'm guessing its one of those things that could be caused by a myriad of things so I just ignore.

I will try the PS4 in the dmz later today. So is it best to set the DMZ click apply, then save config and restart the router - in fact is this a possible rule of thumb for any changes to the router settings? Thanks again for your reply n help.

Would you have any idea what firmware I should be running for the 7800n in the UK? I think I am currently running 1.06h.dt2

Thanks once again.
Try the attached firmware (it should resolve the tcpmss_target issue)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Is that a new f/w for the 7800N or is it just to address this specific problem with PS4 ?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Tomken wrote:Is that a new f/w for the 7800N or is it just to address this specific problem with PS4 ?
New firmware that resolves the user kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length logs
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

billion_fan wrote:New firmware that resolves the user kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length logs
So would you advise installing it even if you didn't have this problem ?

It's just that I've noticed my 7800N isn't syncing as high as it used to and have to tweak the SNR to get ~6.5meg from its natural ~6.