Internet light green but no internet

welchrna

Internet light green but no internet

Post by welchrna »

Hoping this is a simple one someone can help me with. I have a 7800 DXL which was used with Virgin Media successfully for quite a few years. I moved to temporary accommodation for a while and the router was packed away in storage. I've now moved to a house where there's hardwired ethernet and the internet is supplied by LitFibre.

I wanted to use the 7800 DXL as an extension to the existing WiFi as the LitFibre WiFi router doesn't reach the whole house.

I've plugged the 7800 DXL into an ethernet socket that I know works and it starts up fine. As can be seen from the photo, the internet light is green and all looks normal. However, if I try to connect to it, although the signal is strong and it appears (name: Component10) fine. It is indicating that there is no internet, and sure enough, there is no internet connectivity - I can only connect to the admin portal and I cannot see any issues there that might cause the internet to be blocked. Note that the wired network is fully connected to the internet and if I plug a laptop in the same RJ45 socket, I have not trouble connecting.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any idea what's causing it? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: Internet light green but no internet

Post by billion_fan »

welchrna wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:25 pm Hoping this is a simple one someone can help me with. I have a 7800 DXL which was used with Virgin Media successfully for quite a few years. I moved to temporary accommodation for a while and the router was packed away in storage. I've now moved to a house where there's hardwired ethernet and the internet is supplied by LitFibre.

I wanted to use the 7800 DXL as an extension to the existing WiFi as the LitFibre WiFi router doesn't reach the whole house.

I've plugged the 7800 DXL into an ethernet socket that I know works and it starts up fine. As can be seen from the photo, the internet light is green and all looks normal. However, if I try to connect to it, although the signal is strong and it appears (name: Component10) fine. It is indicating that there is no internet, and sure enough, there is no internet connectivity - I can only connect to the admin portal and I cannot see any issues there that might cause the internet to be blocked. Note that the wired network is fully connected to the internet and if I plug a laptop in the same RJ45 socket, I have not trouble connecting.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any idea what's causing it? Thanks!
I am assuming that both LitFibre router and 7800DXL are on the same subnet, hence no internet.

I would do the following

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
3. Delete the ETH WAN profile you setup for Virgin, as that is not needed any more
4. Click on 'Configuration >> LAN'
5. Disable the DHCP server
6. Plug a ethernet connection from the LitFibre to any of the LAN ports on the 7800DXL
7. Restart any devices connected to the DXL

With this setup the 7800DXL will work as wireless hub/switch, so all routing/DHCP/Firewall will be controlled by the LitFibre.