Fibre router/modem or fibre modem needed

General discussions for anything not model specific
PDilly

Fibre router/modem or fibre modem needed

Post by PDilly »

In 4 days Mr Talktalk plugs me into fibre. I squeezed a really good deal as a customer of 7 years standing so if it turns out pants I won't have lost out.

They have just sent me a Huawei 633 super router, which has reviews equal in stature to the East German Trabant motor car!

I have a 7800N which I could plug a fibre modem into or I could buy a new fibre router/modem. a used modem would suffice

anyone recommend a modem for the 7800N as I think it will be much needed standby.

I would buy an 8800AXL but there isn't one for sale anywhere.

or should I wait for an 8900?

I really 4 gigabit ethernet ports as I have 2 PC's a NAS drive and a 10 port gigabit switch with Sonos, TV and other kit plugged in
billion_fan

Re: Fibre router/modem or fibre modem needed

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:In 4 days Mr Talktalk plugs me into fibre. I squeezed a really good deal as a customer of 7 years standing so if it turns out pants I won't have lost out.

They have just sent me a Huawei 633 super router, which has reviews equal in stature to the East German Trabant motor car!

I have a 7800N which I could plug a fibre modem into or I could buy a new fibre router/modem. a used modem would suffice

anyone recommend a modem for the 7800N as I think it will be much needed standby.

I would buy an 8800AXL but there isn't one for sale anywhere.

or should I wait for an 8900?

I really 4 gigabit ethernet ports as I have 2 PC's a NAS drive and a 10 port gigabit switch with Sonos, TV and other kit plugged in
If you really need gigabit ports, then its worth waiting for 8900 series (as this is a one box solution)
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

Thanks BF,
I'll wait for the 8900.
The heat's off for the moment, at least in ADSL mode. We'll see what VDSL brings tomorrow...

I've got the TT router set up as no more than a modem. I ran a cable from 7800N EWAN port to an Ethernet port on the TT router. The TT DMZ field only took the MAC code of the 7800N rather than IP address but it all seems to work.
No loss of speed or errors and all devices had no need to renew IP leases.

Sign of a cheap router though. RJ11 and power leads are both too short!

There is a potential upside. I could hardwire my annex AP into the TT router using separate network and DMZ that to isolate that from my main network
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

Hi Billion Fan,

A while back, you recommended the 8900 series as a good bet for a VDSL router/modem.

I see the series is now available but leaves me with a question of which model will suit best.

I'm still using Talktalk's dire HG633 as just a modem and running everything through my 7800N. The HG633 continues to dive deeper into interleaved signal and throttles available speed unnecessarily in my opinion. A view shared by many!

My 2 3100sn wireless APs are now wired by LAN cable.

The basic stats are that LAN desktop PCs get 24mb/s and wireless devices anywhere get 21Mb/s the router is in the middle of an L shaped Bungalow and the two APs at the extremes. There is no prospect of 3G signal so I'm unlikely to make use of USB provision.

I'm not convinced that 5Ghz wifi just at a new router will be of much use given the speed available at the 2.4Ghz APs. All the wireless devices are iPads And iPhones.

I do need 5 x gigabit ports to accommodate everything and it would be nice if I can isolate one from the others

I guess the choice is between 1600 and 2400. Any advice welcome

Thanks
Pete
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:Hi Billion Fan,

A while back, you recommended the 8900 series as a good bet for a VDSL router/modem.

I see the series is now available but leaves me with a question of which model will suit best.

I'm still using Talktalk's dire HG633 as just a modem and running everything through my 7800N. The HG633 continues to dive deeper into interleaved signal and throttles available speed unnecessarily in my opinion. A view shared by many!

My 2 3100sn wireless APs are now wired by LAN cable.

The basic stats are that LAN desktop PCs get 24mb/s and wireless devices anywhere get 21Mb/s the router is in the middle of an L shaped Bungalow and the two APs at the extremes. There is no prospect of 3G signal so I'm unlikely to make use of USB provision.

I'm not convinced that 5Ghz wifi just at a new router will be of much use given the speed available at the 2.4Ghz APs. All the wireless devices are iPads And iPhones.

I do need 5 x gigabit ports to accommodate everything and it would be nice if I can isolate one from the others

I guess the choice is between 1600 and 2400. Any advice welcome

Thanks
Pete
The only difference between the two devices are the following

1. The 2400 has newer firmware base code from Broadcom with a newer DMT code
2. The 2400 has 4x4 AC wireless, where as the 1600 only 3 x 3 AC wireless
3. The 2400 has 3x3 on the 2.4ghz band, where as the 1600 only has 2x2 on the 2.4ghz
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

2400 it is then!
many thanks BF
Pete