Router drops broadband connection

imprator

Router drops broadband connection

Post by imprator »

Hi.

I have a recently-purchased Billion BIPAC 7800DXL router.

Every four of five days the router drops the broadband connection. It has done so since it was first installed from new. These are the symptoms;

1/ Internet browsers report they cannot access the server.
2/ No devices on the network are able to access the internet.
3/ I cannot access the router's user interface (it is using the standard IP address 192.168.1.254).
4/ The LAN continues to work - devices on the network can still access each other.
5/ All lights on the router indicate that it is functioning correctly.

The only way to restore full function is to power cycle the router.

I have tried setting the router to auto-reboot every day, but this just makes things worse - the router then falls over every two or three days.

The router came with the latest firmware installed (2.32d.dh2).

I would try to reinstall the firmware, but cannot download the necessary file. When I try to do so (or try to download any other file from the router's download page) the downloaded file is always named index.php. This occurs regardless of which browser I use. I am not sure if this is a problem at my end or a problem with Billion's server.

Incidentally, the dropped broadband connection problem is unique to this router. My previous router, a Belkin which was about 6 years old, functioned perfectly. It never dropped the broadband connection and never needed rebooting/power cycling.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
phreder

Re: Router drops broadband connection

Post by phreder »

A direct link to to file you're looking for is;

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... 2-firmware

which downloads fine here.

Does your router show 2.32 ddh2 as its firmware version? If so I may want to update mine which I assumed would be the latest having bought it after the update availability, but shows 2.32d.
imprator

Post by imprator »

phreder wrote:Does your router show 2.32 ddh2 as its firmware version? If so I may want to update mine which I assumed would be the latest having bought it after the update availability, but shows 2.32d.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my router lists software version 2.32d.dh2 on it's Status page.

I tried the link you provided but again it downloads as index.php. Strange, other downloads are fine. I may try swapping-in a different router to see if that helps.

The router had failed again this morning, after power cycling just yesterday afternoon. This is the fastest failure so far, and follows (perhaps coincidentally) my applying static DNS settings provided by my ISP in an attempt to improve matters.

If anyone has any suggestions to fix this I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

imprator wrote:
phreder wrote:Does your router show 2.32 ddh2 as its firmware version? If so I may want to update mine which I assumed would be the latest having bought it after the update availability, but shows 2.32d.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my router lists software version 2.32d.dh2 on it's Status page.

I tried the link you provided but again it downloads as index.php. Strange, other downloads are fine. I may try swapping-in a different router to see if that helps.

The router had failed again this morning, after power cycling just yesterday afternoon. This is the fastest failure so far, and follows (perhaps coincidentally) my applying static DNS settings provided by my ISP in an attempt to improve matters.

If anyone has any suggestions to fix this I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Do you have any guest wifi networks or time schedules setup, if so try to disable them for a quick test
imprator

Post by imprator »

billion_fan wrote:Do you have any guest wifi networks or time schedules setup, if so try to disable them for a quick test
Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't have any guest wifi networks or time schedules set up.

When the router started to fail following its initial installation I reset to factory default values and setup the router with only the basic settings necessary to connect to the ISP. When it continued to fail I tried setting it to auto-reboot, then added static DNS settings. The only effect of adding these two alterations has been that the router fails faster than before.

I am, however, now able to download the firmware (turning off my software firewall solved the problem). I think my next step will be to try reloading the firmware.
RocketScience

7800DXL Router drops ADSL broadband connection

Post by RocketScience »

I have been having problems with my 7800DXL for about a month, it would drop the ADSL connection intermittantly, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes after several hours.

I spent hours on the phone to my ISP, I changed just about everything on my setup (including substituting my router for a spare 7800DXL), I took off the BT faceplate and used the test socket, my ISP tried everything at his end, all to no avail.

Then my ISP asked me what I had changed to my setup since the connection went unstable about a month previously, and immediately something stuck out: my UPS battery had failed about that time so I removed the UPS from the system and plugged the router directly into an extension lead.

Fixing the problem was as simple as plugging the router directly into a wall socket, although the UPS has since been returned to active duty to smooth out any spikes in the supply.

It was power fluctuations from EXTENSION LEAD that were causing the drop outs, and not anything to do with the router or phone line.

So if you are having problems with your connection perhaps try this simple solution before moving on to other potential causes!