5Ghz Connection drops

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
mawheele

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele »

The 5GHz has a different SSID and I reserve it for the priority devices that need 1300MBps performance. iPhones don't need that. The 5GHz controller is clearly having some kind of capacity limit (like a memory leak) forcing it into a situation from which it cannot recover. The experience is unresolvable
requiring a password that it cannot authenticate for some reason.
mawheele

Post by mawheele »

Any news? Getting ready to switch this thing out to the Asus DSL-AC88U as its frustrating to drive a reboot every 4 days.
Thanks!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mawheele wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 am Any news? Getting ready to switch this thing out to the Asus DSL-AC88U as its frustrating to drive a reboot every 4 days.
Thanks!
No update I have been chasing like crazy :cry:

Can you try changing the 5ghz password to all lower case without any special characters ( so numbers and letters only also make sure 5ghz SSID has no spaces use a _ instead)
TapMyHed

Post by TapMyHed »

Hi. A follow up from the UK. I recently updated to d27 from d23. 5g WiFi drops out almost daily needing a reboot to reconnect. D23, was really stable too.

Other issues!

QOS. If i set a bandwidth limit of X% for an up range or an individual up address the QOS does not instantly adjust. On d23 it did, so i could fine tune kids bandwidth limit when watching YouTube or other video on the internet.

With d27, i have two reboot to see the new QOS change take effect. This isn't good as i want control of QOS limits as i work from home, ensuring my VPN to work has bandwidth properly allocated.

Can you chase up your engineer about this?

So apart from 5g and the QOS issues, it's still a fantastic router and I've been a huge fan of the product for many many years now.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

TapMyHed wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:25 pm Hi. A follow up from the UK. I recently updated to d27 from d23. 5g WiFi drops out almost daily needing a reboot to reconnect. D23, was really stable too.

Other issues!

QOS. If i set a bandwidth limit of X% for an up range or an individual up address the QOS does not instantly adjust. On d23 it did, so i could fine tune kids bandwidth limit when watching YouTube or other video on the internet.

With d27, i have two reboot to see the new QOS change take effect. This isn't good as i want control of QOS limits as i work from home, ensuring my VPN to work has bandwidth properly allocated.

Can you chase up your engineer about this?

So apart from 5g and the QOS issues, it's still a fantastic router and I've been a huge fan of the product for many many years now.
First upgrade to the latest firmware d41, I posted on your other thread, this fw has a newer 5ghz driver, so a factory reset will be needed once upgraded and manual reconfiguration.

Then let me know if the QOS issue is resolved
TapMyHed

Post by TapMyHed »

Thank you billion fan. Will do.
TapMyHed

Post by TapMyHed »

Factory reset and d41 uploaded. QOS changes still do not happen immediately to connected wifi devices. Not sure how long after, it seems to vary when the changes happen from a few minutes to tens of minutes.

The original QOS from d23 would also be applied to any lan connection, immediately, and the percentage applied would be to the EWAN lan speed for the internet connection. I would set the actual numbers here EG 35000 download and 10000 upload, then the percentage applied to the QOS Limit for an IP range would equally apply to that range of IP address (these pre set in the LAN settings associating an IP address to a MAC address. I bunch up the kids devices to specific IP so I can apply very specific QOS limits)

With d41, connected LAN devices in the IP range are not affected, only the Wifi devices, and then any changes are not implemented.

Its a shame you dont have a a page listing connected devices with their current upload/download connection speed and usage and a direct way to make a change to a specific connected device. WANTECH Quantum have such a feature, but sadly, is rubbish everywhere else!!!

Thats the QOS feedback so far.

5G no longer drops off 2G will drop off now if you make a change to it, such as schedule change or turning off sub 2G (one of the other 3 SSIDs). Needs a reboot to return the 2G!!!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

TapMyHed wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:34 pm Factory reset and d41 uploaded. QOS changes still do not happen immediately to connected wifi devices. Not sure how long after, it seems to vary when the changes happen from a few minutes to tens of minutes.

The original QOS from d23 would also be applied to any lan connection, immediately, and the percentage applied would be to the EWAN lan speed for the internet connection. I would set the actual numbers here EG 35000 download and 10000 upload, then the percentage applied to the QOS Limit for an IP range would equally apply to that range of IP address (these pre set in the LAN settings associating an IP address to a MAC address. I bunch up the kids devices to specific IP so I can apply very specific QOS limits)

With d41, connected LAN devices in the IP range are not affected, only the Wifi devices, and then any changes are not implemented.

Its a shame you dont have a a page listing connected devices with their current upload/download connection speed and usage and a direct way to make a change to a specific connected device. WANTECH Quantum have such a feature, but sadly, is rubbish everywhere else!!!

Thats the QOS feedback so far.

5G no longer drops off 2G will drop off now if you make a change to it, such as schedule change or turning off sub 2G (one of the other 3 SSIDs). Needs a reboot to return the 2G!!!
I've tested the QOS here and it works fine.

First you should only use 'EWAN Line Speed' if you are using the EWAN port for the WAN connection

For my test I did the following

1. Set up two Ethernet LAN devices with static IP's 192.168.1.200, 192.168.1.201 ran a speed test (also used the Static IP Lease List option and with the same result)
2. Set a QOS rule '(WAN to LAN)' Limited 20%
3. Ran a speed test on PC 2 192.168.1.201, the download speed was limited to 20% of the ADSL connection

This speed limitation was implemented straight away within seconds of applying the rule, so on PC 1 I applied the rule while running a speed test on PC2 which straight away the speeds started to drop,

Regarding the 2.4ghz, the test I performed is as below

1. Setup Guest Wifi network (from a LAN PC
2. Connected a laptop to the main 2.4ghz band
3. Started a ping test to the router
4. Disabled the guest wifi network
5. Laptop disconnected from the main SSID (this is normal as a change has been made to the 2.4ghz band)
6. Once the change was applied the laptop reconnected to the 2.4ghz band automatically
7. Also connected my phone to 2.4ghz band after the change to make sure the 2.4ghz band is working correctly
wrs2020

Post by wrs2020 »

Hi,

I am having similar problem on the 2.4GHz wifi. All devices connected to 2.4GHz drops out and goes on to 5GHz. The devices that don't support 5GHz couldn't connect to network. When i try to force connect to 2.4GHz on my iPhone it says incorrect password (even though it is same default password for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). The problem is solved when i reboot the router and all devices are then able to connect. After several days the same symptom has now re-appeared. I am on the latest firmware 2.52.d41

Can you advise how to fix this permanently or this is a faulty unit?

Regards,
WrS
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wrs2020 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 am Hi,

I am having similar problem on the 2.4GHz wifi. All devices connected to 2.4GHz drops out and goes on to 5GHz. The devices that don't support 5GHz couldn't connect to network. When i try to force connect to 2.4GHz on my iPhone it says incorrect password (even though it is same default password for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). The problem is solved when i reboot the router and all devices are then able to connect. After several days the same symptom has now re-appeared. I am on the latest firmware 2.52.d41

Can you advise how to fix this permanently or this is a faulty unit?

Regards,
WrS
I don't think the device is faulty if it was the 2.4ghz would not come back up after a reboot.

When you upgraded to 2.52.d41 did you perform a factory reset and manually reconfigure the device again?

Also when the issue occurs again, try logging into the router, and changing the wireless 2.4ghz channel, once done see if 2.4ghz devices can reconnect