5Ghz Connection drops

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
wrs2020

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by wrs2020 »

The issue is right now present.

I have just tried changing the 2.4GHz frequency from auto (channel 6) to channel 11 (acceptable interference) but the problem is not solved and still can't connect to 2.4 network. There are no guest wifi enabled on 2.4G and i made absolutely no changes to the router. I have checked RSSI using airport utility app and it shows strong -52 dBm consistent signal on channel 11, the next neighboring wifi signal scanned on channel 11 is at -72 dBm (~-20 dbm weaker) at the place.

When i upgraded to d41 i didn't do a factory reset as i have several manual NAT configurations which i will have to re-do. Is this absolute necessary to factory reset it?

One member above mentioned he factory reset his but still had problems on 2.4GHz dropping on making a change, so not sure if this is going the solve the issue?

Shall i proceed with reset or is there anything else we can check while issue is still present?

Thanks,
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wrs2020 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:51 am The issue is right now present.

I have just tried changing the 2.4GHz frequency from auto (channel 6) to channel 11 (acceptable interference) but the problem is not solved and still can't connect to 2.4 network. There are no guest wifi enabled on 2.4G and i made absolutely no changes to the router. I have checked RSSI using airport utility app and it shows strong -52 dBm consistent signal on channel 11, the next neighboring wifi signal scanned on channel 11 is at -72 dBm (~-20 dbm weaker) at the place.

When i upgraded to d41 i didn't do a factory reset as i have several manual NAT configurations which i will have to re-do. Is this absolute necessary to factory reset it?

One member above mentioned he factory reset his but still had problems on 2.4GHz dropping on making a change, so not sure if this is going the solve the issue?

Shall i proceed with reset or is there anything else we can check while issue is still present?

Thanks,
The member above was referring to the 5ghz band issue

Do you have a copy of your system log, can you post it?? (just want to see if there is any thing within the logs)

I would advise making a backup of your config file, first then try a factory reset and manual configuration. (lets see if that helps)
wrs2020

Post by wrs2020 »

@ billion_fan

I have sent the system log to support@billion.uk.com

I will now proceed with factory reset and restore config from backup. The reset will very likely remove the problem for now but only time will tell if remains this way. Also, if you find/notice anything from the system log kindly let me know too.

Many Thanks,
WrS
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wrs2020 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:25 pm @ billion_fan

I have sent the system log to support@billion.uk.com

I will now proceed with factory reset and restore config from backup. The reset will very likely remove the problem for now but only time will tell if remains this way. Also, if you find/notice anything from the system log kindly let me know too.

Many Thanks,
WrS
Update,

Reply sent via support ticket
TapMyHed

Post by TapMyHed »

billion_fan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:08 am
TapMyHed wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:34 pm Factory reset and d41 uploaded. QOS changes still do not happen immediately to connected wifi devices. Not sure how long after, it seems to vary when the changes happen from a few minutes to tens of minutes.

The original QOS from d23 would also be applied to any lan connection, immediately, and the percentage applied would be to the EWAN lan speed for the internet connection. I would set the actual numbers here EG 35000 download and 10000 upload, then the percentage applied to the QOS Limit for an IP range would equally apply to that range of IP address (these pre set in the LAN settings associating an IP address to a MAC address. I bunch up the kids devices to specific IP so I can apply very specific QOS limits)

With d41, connected LAN devices in the IP range are not affected, only the Wifi devices, and then any changes are not implemented.

Its a shame you dont have a a page listing connected devices with their current upload/download connection speed and usage and a direct way to make a change to a specific connected device. WANTECH Quantum have such a feature, but sadly, is rubbish everywhere else!!!

Thats the QOS feedback so far.

5G no longer drops off 2G will drop off now if you make a change to it, such as schedule change or turning off sub 2G (one of the other 3 SSIDs). Needs a reboot to return the 2G!!!
I've tested the QOS here and it works fine.

First you should only use 'EWAN Line Speed' if you are using the EWAN port for the WAN connection

For my test I did the following

1. Set up two Ethernet LAN devices with static IP's 192.168.1.200, 192.168.1.201 ran a speed test (also used the Static IP Lease List option and with the same result)
2. Set a QOS rule '(WAN to LAN)' Limited 20%
3. Ran a speed test on PC 2 192.168.1.201, the download speed was limited to 20% of the ADSL connection

This speed limitation was implemented straight away within seconds of applying the rule, so on PC 1 I applied the rule while running a speed test on PC2 which straight away the speeds started to drop,

Regarding the 2.4ghz, the test I performed is as below

1. Setup Guest Wifi network (from a LAN PC
2. Connected a laptop to the main 2.4ghz band
3. Started a ping test to the router
4. Disabled the guest wifi network
5. Laptop disconnected from the main SSID (this is normal as a change has been made to the 2.4ghz band)
6. Once the change was applied the laptop reconnected to the 2.4ghz band automatically
7. Also connected my phone to 2.4ghz band after the change to make sure the 2.4ghz band is working correctly
Hi billion. I did what you said regards the QoS. Now it's perfect. Thanks for helping me out with that one. It was because of the Ewan settings. Once removed, all good.

I do have the issue of the 2g and 5g dropping off. That's raised under another post so I'll be following that closely. Thanks again for your help.