SNR setting

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
London Lad

SNR setting

Post by London Lad »

Hi all,

Setting up my new 8800NL

Is there any difference in setting the SNR setting at '6' (no change) or '-1' (auto) ?

thanks
billion_fan

Re: SNR setting

Post by billion_fan »

London Lad wrote:Hi all,

Setting up my new 8800NL

Is there any difference in setting the SNR setting at '6' (no change) or '-1' (auto) ?

thanks
There should not be a difference

SNR table attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
London Lad

Post by London Lad »

Thanks but surely there is a difference otherwise why have an 'auto' setting and a 'no change' setting ?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

London Lad wrote:Thanks but surely there is a difference otherwise why have an 'auto' setting and a 'no change' setting ?
Its just SNR value that adjusts the DB value there will always be a value that will equal -1 or no change (the values equal -db and +db and in the middle will be no change)
London Lad

Post by London Lad »

Maybe me being thick but it clearly says enter an SNR value of '6' for a result of no change to the target db OR an SNR value of -1 for a result of 'auto'
What I'm trying to find out is what does 'auto' do that is different from 'no change'

The table posted above doesn't show the -1 = auto option
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

London Lad wrote:Maybe me being thick but it clearly says enter an SNR value of '6' for a result of no change to the target db OR an SNR value of -1 for a result of 'auto'
What I'm trying to find out is what does 'auto' do that is different from 'no change'

The table posted above doesn't show the -1 = auto option
As stated before there no difference between 6 and -1, this is Broadcom SNR tweaking code, I wrote the table more for people who want to drop the SNR by more then -5db
London Lad

Post by London Lad »

So are you saying the tweeking code of 6 and the tweeking code of -1 both equal no change to the target SNR ? If so why does broardcom have two values for the same result ?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

London Lad wrote:So are you saying the tweeking code of 6 and the tweeking code of -1 both equal no change to the target SNR ? If so why does broardcom have two values for the same result ?
I'm not sure why mate, they work off the base value of 6db (BT default target SNR)
London Lad

Post by London Lad »

I still don't get it.

As I understand it you enter a 'tweeking code' into the box labelled SNR in the settings of the router. The effect of this code is to alter the resultant target SNR as per the chart you posted.
So if I had for instance a current target SNR of 9db a tweeking code of 4 entered into the router settings box would result in a 2 db reduction leaving me with a target SNR of 7db, correct?

So entering a tweek code of 6 makes no change and results in a target SNR of 9db, correct?

So, in the instructions on the setting page it clearly says enter a tweekcode (not snr) of -1 for 'auto'............. what's auto mean ???
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

London Lad wrote:I still don't get it.

As I understand it you enter a 'tweeking code' into the box labelled SNR in the settings of the router. The effect of this code is to alter the resultant target SNR as per the chart you posted.
So if I had for instance a current target SNR of 9db a tweeking code of 4 entered into the router settings box would result in a 2 db reduction leaving me with a target SNR of 7db, correct?

So entering a tweek code of 6 makes no change and results in a target SNR of 9db, correct?

So, in the instructions on the setting page it clearly says enter a tweekcode (not snr) of -1 for 'auto'............. what's auto mean ???
auto means follow your SNR target set by the ISP

More information about the tests performed etc can be found here

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=807