8900AX-2400 Availability Update

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
billion_fan

Re: 8900AX-2400 Availability Update

Post by billion_fan »

mognog wrote:Ok its 12:10am and I have to be up at 5.45am so I'm going to call it a night.

The router is up and running and it feels faster.

I did a speed test on the wireless network before and after. Here are my results from speedtest.net. This obviously wont be an accurate test but gives you a rough idea of the difference.
My router is situated on the 2nd floor of my property on the opposite side (it was the old office) of my pc (in the new downstairs office). Distance at a guess may be 30 metres through at least 1 wall, a ceiling and a door.

I'm using Sky Fibre with an estimated maximum download speed of 70Mbps & 20Mbps upload for my area.

7800DX (Old router)
2.4G ============ 27.03 download, 10.90 upload
5G ============== 19.03 download, 7.90 upload

8900ax-2400
2.4G ============ 56.94 download, 18.96 upload
5G ============== 54.72 download, 18.96 upload

Lan via devlo gigabit homeplugs
7800dx =========== 39.95 download, 16 upload
8900ax-2400 ====== 66.23 download, 18.89 upload

I guess the 5G results are slower than the 2.4s due to the distance and walls.

Setup problems encountered
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use the white openreach fibre box and Ethernet cable or just plug the phone wire from the wall into the dsl port of the router. Not being sure I decided to use the Ethernet method in the end.

* Using the Ethernet cable in the EWAN port - make sure you change the drop down in quick setup to Ethernet rather than DSL for configuration otherwise you get no internet connection.

* I have a Synolology NAS drive (ds213+) which talks wirelessly to the router and is mainly used for CCTV. This no longer connects and I need to spend more time investigating as to why.

You can use the device as one box solution, as it has a VDSL modem built in (something you can play around with over the weekend)

5G band at distance will always be slower, as all 5ghz AC bands are not known for distance, more for quicker speeds at shorter distance. (hence having a 2.4ghz band also to cover the distance)

So the results look positive great news :D
mognog

Post by mognog »

billion_fan wrote:
mognog wrote:Ok its 12:10am and I have to be up at 5.45am so I'm going to call it a night.

I did a speed test on the wireless network before and after. Here are my results from speedtest.net. This obviously wont be an accurate test but gives you a rough idea of the difference.
My router is situated on the 2nd floor of my property on the opposite side (it was the old office) of my pc (in the new downstairs office). Distance at a guess may be 30 metres through at least 1 wall, a ceiling and a door.

I'm using Sky Fibre with an estimated maximum download speed of 70Mbps & 20Mbps upload for my area.

7800DX (Old router)

8900ax-2400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use the white openreach fibre box and Ethernet cable or just plug the phone wire from the wall into the dsl port of the router. Not being sure I decided to use the Ethernet method in the end.

* Using the Ethernet cable in the EWAN port - make sure you change the drop down in quick setup to Ethernet rather than DSL for configuration otherwise you get no internet connection.

* I have a Synolology NAS drive (ds213+) which talks wirelessly to the router and is mainly used for CCTV. This no longer connects and I need to spend more time investigating as to why.

You can use the device as one box solution, as it has a VDSL modem built in (something you can play around with over the weekend)

5G band at distance will always be slower, as all 5ghz AC bands are not known for distance, more for quicker speeds at shorter distance. (hence having a 2.4ghz band also to cover the distance)

Well I've had a go this lunch time at making it a one box solution by removing the white open reach box and plugging the phone cable into the back of the billion in the dsl port.

After reconfiguring the port to be dsl I tried again but it reports back fail.
quickstart1.png
quickstart2.png
fail.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mognog wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

7800DX (Old router)

8900ax-2400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well I've had a go this lunch time at making it a one box solution by removing the white open reach box and plugging the phone cable into the back of the billion in the dsl port.

quickstart1.png
quickstart2.png
fail.png

Login into the router on http://192.168.1.254, and click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service' and edit the 'IPOE >>PTM ' interface and make sure you set the '802.1P Priority' to 0 and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' to 101
mognog

Post by mognog »

mognog wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

7800DX (Old router)

8900ax-2400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh and here are the wan service settings. I tried the 802.1P Priority and 802.1Q VLAND ID with 0 but it made no difference.
wan-service.png
So I've currently reverted it to using the fibre modem again via Ethernet. That works fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mognog

Post by mognog »

Login into the router on http://192.168.1.254, and click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service' and edit the 'IPOE >>PTM ' interface and make sure you set the '802.1P Priority' to 0 and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' to 101
I tried that, waited a bit whilst it does its thing then it pops up with Fail. :(
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mognog wrote:
I tried that, waited a bit whilst it does its thing then it pops up with Fail. :(
When you have time test it again, the '802.1P Priority' has to be set to 0 and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' to 101 this is a must (you can do it manually instead of running through the quick start option, you can edit the PTM interface or Add a new interface under 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service)

Once done, check the Status >> WAN' section to see what is going on, if you have a valid IP address for your IPOE connection.

Also click on 'Advanced Setup >> Routing' and make sure your IPOE connection is listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'

(Also as sky uses DHCP lease, you might have to wait upto 1 hour for the connection to release on there side and issue a new DHCP lease)
mognog

Post by mognog »

billion_fan wrote:
mognog wrote:
When you have time test it again, the '802.1P Priority' has to be set to 0 and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' to 101 this is a must (you can do it manually instead of running through the quick start option, you can edit the PTM interface or Add a new interface under 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service)

Once done, check the Status >> WAN' section to see what is going on, if you have a valid IP address for your IPOE connection.

Also click on 'Advanced Setup >> Routing' and make sure your IPOE connection is listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'

(Also as sky uses DHCP lease, you might have to wait upto 1 hour for the connection to release on there side and issue a new DHCP lease)
Thanks I'll try that shortly. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I have a fixed IP address for Sky rather than the standard DHCP.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mognog wrote:
billion_fan wrote:
mognog wrote:

Thanks I'll try that shortly. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I have a fixed IP address for Sky rather than the standard DHCP.
It doesn't make a difference, its still assigned via a DHCP server

Let me know how you get on :D
mognog

Post by mognog »

Ok, I tried again and waited 1hour 20mins and gave up due to the moaning of everyone else in this house :)
Screen shots attached just show it sitting in connecting mode.
status.png
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mognog wrote:

Ok, I tried again and waited 1hour 20mins and gave up due to the moaning of everyone else in this house :)
Screen shots attached just show it sitting in connecting mode.
status.png
I'll pick this case up on Tuesday (as its bank holiday weekend), need to have a look at your system log also to see what the issue is

PS you have a lot of IPOE EThernet connections, you don't need that many lol, also you don't need the pppoa one, as that's for ADSL (this won't impact your PTM >> IPOE though, just a side comment)