Is Device sharing between subnets possible

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
PDilly

Is Device sharing between subnets possible

Post by PDilly »

Having created two isolated networks in my 8900, is it possible to allow access, to a smart TV on LAN and a Wifi network printer that are on the primary network, to the secondary network?
Both devices reside on 192.168.1 and it would be handy to give access from 192.168.2

It wouldn't matter normally but I run out of primary wifi in my annex and my iPad switches to secondary wifi automatically. Upon return to the main Bungalow it's pot luck whether it stays or changes back to the primary network as the signals are pretty even.
billion_fan

Re: Is Device sharing between subnets possible

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:Having created two isolated networks in my 8900, is it possible to allow access, to a smart TV on LAN and a Wifi network printer that are on the primary network, to the secondary network?
Both devices reside on 192.168.1 and it would be handy to give access from 192.168.2

It wouldn't matter normally but I run out of primary wifi in my annex and my iPad switches to secondary wifi automatically. Upon return to the main Bungalow it's pot luck whether it stays or changes back to the primary network as the signals are pretty even.
I don't think you can, as this will not isolate the guest network (the 192.168.2 network, will then be able to see all devices on 192.168.1, so VLAN isolation is not doing its job)

That's the whole point of isolating the network, is that your network 192.168.2 cannot see devices on 192.168.1 (its either isolate the whole network, or don't isolate the network)
PDilly

Re: Is Device sharing between subnets possible

Post by PDilly »

Thanks BF
from what I'd read thus far I had a feeling that was the case.
It appears possible (to a degree) but way too much like hard work.(cheaper and easier to buy a second printer!
It's quicker and easier to email to a device on the right subnet for printing and give access to the subnet for the TV if required.

Apart from anything else the 8900 is a nice piece of kit. It hasn't really improved actual download speed on the LAN (interleaving greatly reduced) but upload has improved by 30% and Wifi anywhere in the building is way up there with LAN speed and that's not even the 5Ghz channel