Wifi completely failed - a common problem?

eightace

Wifi completely failed - a common problem?

Post by eightace »

I found this as a common problem on an Australian forum but no mention of it here. After 3 years of use the wifi is now completely broken. Anyone else had this problem?
Xochipilli

Re: Wifi completely failed - a common problem?

Post by Xochipilli »

The wifi has a tendency to overheat. I've had it stop working a few times in the past few weeks as the room I'm keeping the box in is very hot. I should imagine heating up to cut off on a regular basis is probably not going to be good for it's lifespan. It's also consistent with them burning out more in Australia.

Mines been ok since I reduced the Tx Power Level down from 100 to 75 and crudely taped a 140mm fan to it.
eightace

Post by eightace »

You beauty.

I just put an icepack under mine and rebooted it and I now have wireless again. That saves me a fortune.

Many thanks :D
Dink444

Post by Dink444 »

Had the same problem here but this solved all the overheating issues , as you can see from the pics it lays ontop of the router blowing down ,
and the power is done by a simple y cable from the original power supply . Modded mine with a 50 ohm resistor 1/2w so it is almost silent but
keeps the router COLD.

Got it off Ebay in the USA , they obviously have far more overheating issues than us .

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chipolata

Post by Chipolata »

Hi. Have encountered the same problem today for my 7800n.
Tried just about everything and eventually had to log a ticket with Billion eSupport.
Just hope they can give me a solution cos as well as the wifi dying the Ethernet connection seems to have developed a fault. The SysLog shows errors with DHCP and MAC address identification failure. The Internet connection has gone down to a snail's pace with loads of timeouts and Page Cannot Be Found messages. Weird stuff.
Krebsz

Post by Krebsz »

Hi all,

And thank you for this post.

I keep having similar problems with my 7800n and ordered one of these from Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if it works but will give it a try anyway. Cheers..