BiPAC 8200N test firmware with DHCP option 61 for Sky FTTC

Discussions for BiPAC 8200 series VDSL modem /router: 8200AXL, 8206AZ, 8200M, 8200N
billion_fan

Re: BiPAC 8200N test firmware with DHCP option 61 for Sky FT

Post by billion_fan »

simon194 wrote:A replacement 8200N turned up today although I won't get a chance to start testing until the weekend. I flashed the .dy2 firmware and it still has the same ClientID issue as the previous version.
Please drop admin a PM and let him know the replacement unit has arrived.
simon194

Post by simon194 »

admin wrote: We assume Sky uses VLAN ID 101 also but we have no way of confirming it unless other users find out for your.
The VLAN ID is confirmed to be 101.

I have an unlocked Huawei modem to replace the ECI one so I could check it.
simonmpoulton

Post by simonmpoulton »

Just received an 8200n today purely for replacing the two box solution on my sky fttc connection and have been sorely disappointed. Never mind the client ID issue which you say was fixed with the latest beta firmware but it clearly wasn't and you have to manually edit a config file to get it in. There is a much more serious issue - it does not even sync with the cabinet and I see I am not the only one with this issue and that Billion have done nothing to fix this problem.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

simonmpoulton wrote:Just received an 8200n today purely for replacing the two box solution on my sky fttc connection and have been sorely disappointed. Never mind the client ID issue which you say was fixed with the latest beta firmware but it clearly wasn't and you have to manually edit a config file to get it in. There is a much more serious issue - it does not even sync with the cabinet and I see I am not the only one with this issue and that Billion have done nothing to fix this problem.

Hi Simon,

Please understand the firmware we released are beta firmware and they are for testing only and not guarantee to work. Even with the 7800N firmware for Sky it did take a few version to get it right. We are already looking onto the problem and yes you are not the only one as we have another user with no sync issue and he is on the ECI DLSAM. What DSLAM are you on do you know? Anyway you have already submit a ticket to our esupport and we will update you as soon as we get an update from engineers
simonmpoulton

Post by simonmpoulton »

The issue with the beta firmware is a minor one. The biggest issue I have is with Billion releasing a product that is not ready for use in the UK given it doesn't sync up with all fibre cabinets.
Going by the pictures of street cabinets it looks like i'm connected to an ECI one although I was given a Huawei modem by OpenReach when it was installed.
simon194

Post by simon194 »

simonmpoulton wrote:The issue with the beta firmware is a minor one. The biggest issue I have is with Billion releasing a product that is not ready for use in the UK given it doesn't sync up with all fibre cabinets.
Going by the pictures of street cabinets it looks like i'm connected to an ECI one although I was given a Huawei modem by OpenReach when it was installed.
The router apparently syncs OK with Huawei equipment which is by far the most common that's been rolled out to date although Openreach are now rolling out ECI kit because the DSLAM's are cheaper. There's obviously some slight difference between the way the two operate because the ECI modem I was supplied with syncs up in about 15 seconds but the Huawei I bought, so I could get my line stats and it also handles line noise better, can take up to 2 minutes to sync.

I only supplied the captures from my line on Tuesday so hopefully it will be sorted out soon (I'm the one admin mentioned BTW). In the mean time I'm using the router in EWAN mode because of the issue with the Sky supplied router where devices connected by wifi can't access devices that are wired.
simonmpoulton

Post by simonmpoulton »

Billion have just sent me a new test firmware which syncs up with the cabinet and doesn't have the problem with the client ID field either so good job billion for sorting it out.
Only issue I have now is with the router syncing up 5mbps slower than the BT modem - it's a minor one I know but would be nice if Billion sorted that one too!

I've attached some notes for future users as to exactly what settings you need to put in to make it sync up and connect to SKY Fibre correctly.
Notes For Setup of Billion 8200N On Sky Fibre.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simon194

Post by simon194 »

Now my lines been running on the 80/20 product for a few days, I'll be sorting out some new debug logs this weekend so hopefully it can be tweaked a bit.
simon194

Post by simon194 »

Well, couldn't produce any debug logs because I had problems with the capture software (support has been informed).

Now I'm on the 80/20 product the sync speed of the 8200N is well down, around 9Mbps lower than the ECI modem that was originally installed and 17Mbps lower than the Huawei modem I currently use.
cmndwedge

Post by cmndwedge »

I have recently tried to get the 8200N working with Sky Fibre but also having the
"The value is invalid" error for the client ID and cannot find a way round it.

Currently using the 1.06a.dt6.dy2 firmware.