8900AX-2400 Availability Update

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
gatekeeper

Re: 8900AX-2400 Availability Update

Post by gatekeeper »

ardsar,

It's great news that more 8900AX-2400s are now becoming available. As an aside, can you post back here whether you encounter any high-pitched background noise coming from either the router itself or the brick power unit, once you've got yours up and running (particularly in VDSL mode)? I've been planning to get an 8900AX-2400 myself quite soon but have been concerned about reports in these forums of persistent and annoying noises coming from the ensemble during operation. Thus far, the cases cited have applied to only the 7800 and 8800 series models but obviously I'm hoping that the vastly more expensive 8900AX doesn't also have this trait.

Do note that, according to the published specification, the brick power unit supplied with the 8900AX should be a 15-volt, 2 amps affair. Previous routers have used a 12-volt supply. Check the labeling on the brick and confirm that that's what you've got.
ardsar

Post by ardsar »

I have extremely good hearing and tend to pick these issues up as well. However, I can not hear anything from either the brick or the router. My old HH5 used to scream when transmitting over 5G wifi - well I could certainly hear it and it annoyed the crap out of me lol.
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

Well, that's jolly good news, ardsar - the lack of any annoying noise, I mean. It's given me more confidence that the one I'll eventually get will also be devoid of any such noise. Anything like that would drive me insane!

Did you check the label on the brick? Is it indeed one that's rated at 15v 2A?

How's the router going so far, then? Are you using it in VDSL mode straight away, or ADSL? Encountered any problems yet?

In an earlier comment in this topic, Radiocrazy mentioned that Amazon were about to receive stock of the 8900AX. Well, today Amazon are actually advertising the 8900AX. What's a bit odd, though, is that the Amazon price (it looks like it's being sold on Amazon by a third party, in fact) is some £36 more than broadbandbuyer's. Did you get yours from broadbandbuyer? That Amazon price seems steep.
ardsar

Post by ardsar »

I'm using it on a vdsl connection, line is fairly long and it is performing as expected - early days but no issues. I have not check the brick yet but I'm sure it's the correct one as no issues.

I purchased from broadbandbuyer ; I use them quite often and have never had issues. I did have a d7000 netgear which I purchased from them but after 3 months of issues and netgear support I returned it with no issues.
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

I've always bought from broadbandbuyer (BBB) in the past, whether it's been a Thompson, Netgear or Billion router, so I'll probably use them again for this. I could just as easily get an 8900AX from Amazon, but crikey the price that Amazon's showing for it at present is 'over the top' in my view.

Maybe I'll now get an 8900AX sooner rather than later. I'm not in a huge rush, though, and initially I'll be using it in ADSL mode. I'm on a long line too; ADSL-wise, I'm 3.3km by cable route from the exchange. For VDSL, it'd be about 750 metres from me to the street cabinet.

I see from the Delivery section of the BBB website that they use Royal Mail (RM) as the carrier, unless you pay a bit extra for someone like DPD. I must say I cringe whenever I realise an e-retailer - especially one that markets sensitive electronic gear - uses Royal Mail, as I've seen how parcels are treated in RM sorting offices, invariably them being hurled across a big bay, into an open truck, and being mixed in with other far-heavier packages. I consequently wonder how on earth pieces of fragile kit like routers ever survive that. I hope BBB packs these 8900s well. There again, I don't suppose DPD treat their customers' parcels much different.

Anyway, thanks for the little bit of feedback.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

I've always bought from broadbandbuyer (BBB) in the past, whether it's been a Thompson, Netgear or Billion router, so I'll probably use them again for this. I could just as easily get an 8900AX from Amazon, but crikey the price that Amazon's showing for it at present is 'over the top' in my view.
I'm the opposite I don’t like BBB, but I can’t defend the prices on Amazon at present they are well over the top BUT it isn’t actually being sold by Amazon but the money mad traders who can set their prices as much as they like.
Some traders on there keep saying last one hurry, that’s all a trick to get to buy the last one (but it isn’t) wait a few more weeks and when Amazon sell it, it will beat BBB hands down.
ardsar

Post by ardsar »

Looks like I'm going to be returning this unit - it suffers the same issues that the Netgear D7000 had on my line - ever decreasing S/N de to the way the tone allocation is implemented on a noisy line. As both the Netgear and Billion suffer the same issue, i'm guessing the issue is down to Boadcomm. See separate thread for details.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

ardsar wrote:Looks like I'm going to be returning this unit - it suffers the same issues that the Netgear D7000 had on my line - ever decreasing S/N de to the way the tone allocation is implemented on a noisy line. As both the Netgear and Billion suffer the same issue, i'm guessing the issue is down to Boadcomm. See separate thread for details.
That's bad news I done exactly the same my review on the D700 is on Amazon (same username) that really is a big blow I have been waiting for the 8900 for a year now, I also have a long line and the noise on it is bad, I really appreciate you posting you're findings :(
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

ardsar,

Sending it back? Really?

When you say 'a long line', just exactly what do you mean? And when you mention 'a decreasing s/n', from what to what?

My reaction is to ask whether, like a lot of people these days, you're trying to get a quart out of a pint pot. In other words, are you expecting too much for your line, in respect of speed and noise performance?

As I understand it, a line will always initially attempt to sync at a target SNR of 6dB. That's Openreach's default and applies equally to ADSL and VDSL. With ADSL and a Broadcom chip you're able to set the target SNR to a different value, to either screw more speed out of the line or to reduce the detrimental effects of noise and crosstalk. With VDSL you can't do this. However, because VDSL is meant for short-to-medium-length lines there's less need for manipulation of the target SNR. Thus, as a VDSL user, I'd expect initially for the SNR to be at or around 6dB and then, over time, for it to creep up a bit, as crosstalk increases and user numbers go up on the local copper loop. Surprisingly, though, you appear to be saying that your SNR is decreasing. Can't think why the Broadcom chip would do that, as if true it'd in time cause the line to continually drop out. Bear in mind that the SNR that's operated on the line is a negotiated value, between your modem and OR's DSLAM. So, perhaps your problem may lie not with the router/modem but instead somewhere else entirely?

I've had Billion routers for a good many years, upgrading as newer and better models come out. On ADSL, I've always made use of the SNR Tweak facility, and it's always worked fine. Because of my long line and a good deal of impulsive noise that gets on to it, I have to operate at a target SNR of 15dB. That value does in time reduce by itself by 1 or 2dB. But that's due to normal auto-adjustment of the line caused by differing levels of noise and crosstalk. The target value is literally that; a spot value can just as easily be +/- 1 or 2dB.

Perhaps, because you've only had the new unit a few days so far, you should give it more time, and see if the SNR settles out to a more stable value? After all, the whole idea is for the modem and the DSLAM (in this case, located in the street cabinet) to negotiate the fastest sync speed for you, consistent with least bit errors. I suspect you'll not find an alternative unit that'd perform any differently.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

I have read you're reply with interest but at present I'm on an iPad and can do a lot more to show you my openreach modern noise figures.
When I was on ADSL the maximum speed was round about 4mb on a good day, this figure changed with not just peak times but weather even seasons I was told by many ISP's over the years that my line was crap or words to that effect.
When I changed to Fibre DSL was the first time I had more stubility as well as speed stubility to me was most important I very really have a loss of sink now it's more then realiabal from that sense I'm pleased, but when I tried the D700 it kept dropping the line nearly every 30 mins to this day it has lost me 5mb in speed I must ring BT and get them to refresh my line profile to bring it back up.
One thing I don't know is on DSL is there a noise threshold adjustment on the billion you've just tried.
Later I will take a snap shot of my noise figure etc from within the openreach modem, I also have a ADSL nation filter I find that they have good separation detween the digital signal to analoge phone line.