8900AX-2400 Availability Update

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
billion_fan

Re: 8900AX-2400 Availability Update

Post by billion_fan »

morgainemonk wrote:Thanks billion_fan... That's what I was looking for - I thought I was missing something in my settings because they didn't appear to be working!!...

Bear with me... You'll like this...

I'm running the bipac 8800axl with the settings above on Sky fibre ... (Excepting it's IPoe and not pppoe for the ptm connection in WAN setup)

On the summary page at the bottom where it should be telling us the ipv6 default gateway / ipv6 address - there is no sign of an address and from my PC, no connection on the ipv6-test sites... Hence the running in circles the past few days pulling my hair out (what little I have left)

Turns out... My android devices pass the test and problems.. inspecting the LAN connection details on PC shows the correct IPv6 addresses ...

Seems the issues I'm having may be related to a certain VPN software installation which has killed the IPv6 connection (among other things) to/from PC ... - I'm working on it - it also has a kill switch - meaning if it's not running ... Zero connection to anywhere!!! ffs... A simple uninstall renders windows networking useless ha!... I'm working on it ....

Anyway, point is for anyone else who gets this far.... The setup above works perfectly on the 8800axl also!!.... Just no IPv6 address listed on the summary page where you would expect!..

It is however noticeable above there in the device information summary - LAN IPv6 address appears to be a global address...

Additionally the server is giving out equivalent global addresses to the client machines, which can be verified via the test sites...

Thanks for all the info and help ;-)
Try the following to show the Ipv6 address on the status page

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Advanced Setup >> Routing >> Default Gateway'
3. Under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces' make sure you only have your IPOE connection listed, every other connection can be moved to the 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' section
4. Make sure under 'Preferred WAN Interface As The System Default IPv6 Gateway' that your IPOE connection is listed
5. Click on 'Apply'
6. Check the 'Status' page to see if your IPv6 address is listed under 'Default IPv6 Gateway / IPv6 Address'
mawheele

Post by mawheele »

Hi Billion Fan,
I have followed all these instructions, but my Primary and Secondary DNS remain IPV4 addresses and not the OpenDNS V6 addresses that I've applied. There seems no way to default the wan to IPV6 over V4. Also, my ISP (ZEN) asked me to switch on 'Issue Router Advertisements' in the LAN settings. No clue what that does. Help!! Thx :-)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mawheele wrote:Hi Billion Fan,
I have followed all these instructions, but my Primary and Secondary DNS remain IPV4 addresses and not the OpenDNS V6 addresses that I've applied. There seems no way to default the wan to IPV6 over V4. Also, my ISP (ZEN) asked me to switch on 'Issue Router Advertisements' in the LAN settings. No clue what that does. Help!! Thx :-)
Are you on ADSL or VDSL??

Have you run a IPv6 test with the following site http://test-ipv6.com/

Can you share a screen shot of what you mean " Primary and Secondary DNS remain IPV4 addresses and not the OpenDNS V6 addresses "
mawheele

Post by mawheele »

Hi there - I'm VDSL and Zen Internet (ISP) have enabled the account with IPV6. In the main status page I'm then getting:
Default Gateway / IPv4 Address ppp1.1 (DSL) / xxxxxxxxxxx
Connection Time 00:04:14
Primary DNS Server 212.23.6.100
Secondary DNS Server 212.23.3.100
IPv6 Gateway / IPv6 Address ppp1.1(DSL)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here were the results from the Test:
Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be xx.xx.xxx.xx

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be ZEN-AS Moss Bridge Road, GB

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Thanks for your help. Mark.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mawheele wrote:Hi there - I'm VDSL and Zen Internet (ISP) have enabled the account with IPV6. In the main status page I'm then getting:
Default Gateway / IPv4 Address ppp1.1 (DSL) / xxxxxxxxxxx
Connection Time 00:04:14
Primary DNS Server 212.23.6.100
Secondary DNS Server 212.23.3.100
IPv6 Gateway / IPv6 Address ppp1.1(DSL)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here were the results from the Test:
Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be xx.xx.xxx.xx

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be ZEN-AS Moss Bridge Road, GB

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Thanks for your help. Mark.
If you perform a 'ipconfig' within command prompt (on your Windows PC) do you get a IPv6 address and a temporary IPv6 address ??
mawheele

Post by mawheele »

I'm on a Mac. Checked in Network Settings and there are no details in the IPV6 section, just IPV4.
Appreciate your help
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mawheele wrote:I'm on a Mac. Checked in Network Settings and there are no details in the IPV6 section, just IPV4.
Appreciate your help
So it seems your mac is not getting a IPv6 address, which is should when you enable the settings I posted in the two screen shots.

If possible can you try with another device eg PC
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

i've always been really pleased with my 7800N but that was of course ADSL of which I had a reasonable understanding.

ADSL ran at about 5.5Mbs

Now I'm on fibre and knowing the TT router is chocolate teapot, I attach my Talktalk HG633 status page to see if anyone has a view as to what improvement an 8900AX 2400 might have for me.

I notice there must have been a dropout a couple of days ago. I don't recall a power cut!

What I hope to lose is the level of interleaving and give a bit of a boost to my speed.

The HG633 is only a modem for my trusty 7800N which handles everything.

Speed on my iPad just now; 21Mbs

All thoughts welcome.
IMG_3208.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.