Billion BiPAC 8900ax-2400 vs SKY Q Hub

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
mognog

Billion BiPAC 8900ax-2400 vs SKY Q Hub

Post by mognog »

Hi everyone,

I've recently upgraded to Sky Q Silver which is great. However I'm in a dilemma - my wife wants to sell the SKY Q Hub or the Billion router depending on which one is to be redundant.

Now at the moment my BiPAC 8900ax-2400 is working just fine with the Sky Q Silver upgrade. (I just told the installer to change everything except the router).

Looking at the Hub it has no external aerials and only 2 Ethernet ports. I imagine configuration will be limited in comparison to the Billion.

My question is: Should I replace my Billion router with the Sky Q Hub and use the Billion router for something else or is the SKY Q Hub vastly inferior and leave my set up as is?
skyq3.jpg
skyq2.jpg
skyq1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lamster

Re: Billion BiPAC 8900ax-2400 vs SKY Q Hub

Post by lamster »

Stick with the 2400 IMO mate.

I had Sky Q installed first week in June and removed the 2400 a week before and fitted the Q hub (To save any hassle come install time as sky
dont like you using anything but their equipment as it against their T&C's)

I immediately lost 5mb on my download over the 2400 (upload was same at 20mb)

You have a lot less configuration options for sure, but one thing I noticed was how hot the Q hub got :shock: way hotter than anything else ive ever had.

One nice feature is the mesh network the boxes give you, Wifi was much stronger at the back end of my house over the 2400 before Sky Q, I
used to loose signal at the back of the extension,They say the mesh network only works when the Q hub and Q boxes, But after I went back to
the 2400 and connected my Q boxes the signal strength of wifi at the back of my extension is better than it was on just the 2400 so the mesh
network must still work to some degree. I noticed big drops in signal strength in the same area at different times with the Q hub (db levels can
be shown on jailbroken apple stuff) but is very stable with the 2400

One thing I will tell you tho is set your Q Silver and the Mini box on static IP's and input the 2.4ghz mac address only, if you input the 5ghz mac aswell it makes the boxes throw all kinds of fits, connecting then disconnecting all the time, ive tried mine in all variants and both boxes on
2.4ghz static works the best and is stable, You only need to enter your wifi password into the silver box, once connected just press the WPS
buttons on the Silver and then the mini and they sync up.

Oh and when I went back to the 2400 I gained my 5mb back on the download :mrgreen:

P.S. dont sell the Q hub as if you have any issues and you have to ring sky you will need it plugged in, plus they come pre configured with your username and password, its not pulled in once connected to the line, so if you sell it on someone will be using your details (as far as I am aware
how sky equipment works) I wiresharked my original SR102 router before it was ever connected to the phone line and it pulled my user/pass off it.

The Q hub is a big improvement over the SR102 for sure, but 2 LAN ports......come on Sky!!!!!! but it doesnt come close to the 2400 ;)
mognog

Re: Billion BiPAC 8900ax-2400 vs SKY Q Hub

Post by mognog »

Cool - thanks lamster for that detailed reply. I'll play around with the settings over the next few days and put my Sky Q hub in storage with a "hands off!" sticker on to prevent my wife trying to "tidy up" things. :)

mognog.