billion bipac 8900ax-2400 and Sky Fibre in the UK

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
John21

billion bipac 8900ax-2400 and Sky Fibre in the UK

Post by John21 »

Hello!

I've purchased a billion bipac 8900ax-2400 all in one router in the UK, and I'm excited to say it's arriving tomorrow! :D

When it arrives, how do I set it up with Sky Fibre that I believe users MER and option 60 or 61 or something? Which is apparently totally different and unique compared to other fibre providers?

I know about extracting my sky username and password from the sky router using wireshark, I just don't know the settings I should be using on the router?

Also, is there any other settings I should be changing to maximise both internet and wireless performance?

I purchased this router so that I could have fast stable internet for my home business, so any help is greatly appreciated! :D
billion_fan

Re: billion bipac 8900ax-2400 and Sky Fibre in the UK

Post by billion_fan »

John21 wrote:Hello!

I've purchased a billion bipac 8900ax-2400 all in one router in the UK, and I'm excited to say it's arriving tomorrow! :D

When it arrives, how do I set it up with Sky Fibre that I believe users MER and option 60 or 61 or something? Which is apparently totally different and unique compared to other fibre providers?

I know about extracting my sky username and password from the sky router using wireshark, I just don't know the settings I should be using on the router?

Also, is there any other settings I should be changing to maximise both internet and wireless performance?

I purchased this router so that I could have fast stable internet for my home business, so any help is greatly appreciated! :D
Follow the steps below to setup your device with sky fibre

1. Login into the router using the following address http://192.168.1.254
2. Use the username 'admin' and password 'admin' to login
3. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
4. Edit the 'PTM >>> PPPOE' profile
5. Change the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet'
6. Make sure the '802.1P Priority' is set to '0' and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' is set to '101'
7. In the 'Option 61 Client ID' enter your sky username and password with a '|' in between eg username@skydsl|password
8. Click on 'Apply'

Regarding your wireless connection for the best speeds on the 2.4ghz band you can try using 20/40mhz for the bandwidth (please note when using 20/40mhz you may get more interference on the 2.4ghz)

Regarding the 5ghz AC band it should be pre-configured and ready to go

Regarding the DSL/Fibre side of things, there is nothing you can tweak when using Fibre
John21

Post by John21 »

Thank you so much for the prompt response! I'll follow your instructions and let you know how I get on! :D
John21

Post by John21 »

Ok, this is working really well :D

It replaced an ASUS DSL-AC68U and the wireless seems on a par, even though the ASUS is advertised as having a million unique wireless technological advancements, and the Broadcom modem in the Billion blows the Mediatek modem in the Asus out of the water.

One thing I will say is that two iPhones kept dropping the wireless connection when streaming, but I haven't seen the problem since I reduced the beacon interval to 50 from the default 100.

Regarding the line stats though, which figures do I need to keep an eye on? I can't tell which one represents CRC and FEC errors?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

John21 wrote:Ok, this is working really well :D

It replaced an ASUS DSL-AC68U and the wireless seems on a par, even though the ASUS is advertised as having a million unique wireless technological advancements, and the Broadcom modem in the Billion blows the Mediatek modem in the Asus out of the water.

One thing I will say is that two iPhones kept dropping the wireless connection when streaming, but I haven't seen the problem since I reduced the beacon interval to 50 from the default 100.

Regarding the line stats though, which figures do I need to keep an eye on? I can't tell which one represents CRC and FEC errors?
You need to telnet into the device and use the command 'adsl info --stats'
John21

Post by John21 »

Btw, I've now noticed that every time I turn on my iPhone screen my phone is not connected to WiFi but mobile data?

Once I've typed in my unlock code and opened the safari browser it seems in those few seconds it finds the wireless signal and connects? So the phone only seems to be connected to WiFi when I'm using it, and not when it's at rest on the desk?

This happens with both iPhones in the house and didn't happen with the old router.

Is there any reason why this would be happening?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

John21 wrote:Btw, I've now noticed that every time I turn on my iPhone screen my phone is not connected to WiFi but mobile data?

Once I've typed in my unlock code and opened the safari browser it seems in those few seconds it finds the wireless signal and connects? So the phone only seems to be connected to WiFi when I'm using it, and not when it's at rest on the desk?

This happens with both iPhones in the house and didn't happen with the old router.

I haven't seen this issue before, is power saving mode enabled on your iphone?

What wireless band do you normally connect too?? 2.4ghz or 5ghz??

You might want to change the 'Beacon Interval' back to 100 to see that helps

Also try changing the channel the router outputs on to either 1, 6 or 11 to see if that helps with the streaming issues on your iphone
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billion_fan wrote:
John21 wrote:Btw, I've now noticed that every time I turn on my iPhone screen my phone is not connected to WiFi but mobile data?

I haven't seen this issue before, is power saving mode enabled on your iphone?

What wireless band do you normally connect too?? 2.4ghz or 5ghz??

You might want to change the 'Beacon Interval' back to 100 to see that helps

Also try changing the channel the router outputs on to either 1, 6 or 11 to see if that helps with the streaming issues on your iphone
I also just ran a test on the 2.4ghz band with a iphone 6+ and I couldn't replicate the issue (all 2.4ghz setting were default other then the SSID and security password) All I did was connect to the 2.4ghz band closed all background apps, waited for the phone to go into stand by mode, (screen is off) press the home button, screen turned on, and wifi was still connected.